seal savers

handleme46

Apr 11, 2003
i recently repaced my fork seals because they were leaking. I sent them to the dealer and i payed a lot of $$$$$$$$$$ does anybody know if seal savers are a good investment? they sure are cheap enough compared new seals every year.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I am very pleased with mine. I installed them after new seals. I have had them for a couple of months now and not a bit of dirt/ mud has made it up to the dust wiper. I figure for the $16.00 they cost it sure can't hurt. Have some zip ties around. The ones that came with my seal savers were to short to go around the fork tube.
Lew

handleme46

Apr 11, 2003
yea i figure so too, because i spent a lot on my new seals, and its just a pain. thanx for the info

B

biglou

There was a thread not too long ago in the "Product Reviews" forum about this. It should be somewhere in the first few pages of that forum. FWIW, I run SealSavers and love them. No blown seals on either big bike-that's a total of 3 bike-years (2 for the kTm, 1 for the YZF). Seems like about 95% like them, and there are a few who don't like them. And yes, you have to slide the fork tubes out of the triple clamps to install them.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
They work well if they are kept dry/ If wet, the moisture gets trapped insde. I dont use them anymore. Too much of a hastle for what they offer.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by Rcannon
If wet, the moisture gets trapped insde.

So? Moisture doesn't hurt any thing. I've run them for three years under every condition possible and I never do any thing with them. Only one leaky seal in all that time also.:)

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i like mine,,, i have a post on another forum page asking if anyone has seen a seal saver/cover for the rear shock,,maybe a company will see our interest and start making them.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
The same company that makes outerwears pre-filters makes shockwears for ATV's, I'm sure you could make one fit on your bike but I thought that was what the mud-flap was for.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by Rcannon
They work well if they are kept dry/ If wet, the moisture gets trapped insde. I dont use them anymore. Too much of a hastle for what they offer.

I can't imagine that moisture would create a problem. Neoprene is a material that breaths. I have never noticed any residual moisture in mine.
Lew

soquel

Mar 19, 2002
To increase the life of your seals you should bleed your forks after every moto, and after washing your bike you should wipe the tubes down. Water spots wreak havoc on seals. And don't use and solvents like contact cleaner to clean the fork tubes, there should be a thin film of oil on the tubes. One other thing is when tying down your bike try to compress the forks as little as possible.

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
Originally posted by soquel
One other thing is when tying down your bike try to compress the forks as little as possible.

I cut a 2x4 to fit between the top of the front wheel and the fender (where the bottom triple clamp screws are). It's about and 1.5 inches shorter than that distance, then I put a 1x1 to form a cross. The 1x1 leans against the fork tubes while I secure down the tie downs. This allows me to secure the bike without compressing the forks more than a two inches.

I've seen a plastic piece that is designed to do this same function, but it cost $16.95. I can't spend that much when I've got a 2x4 laying around. However, my buddies do laugh at the ghetto look!

Bleed the forks before riding and after + seal savers + 2by4 = no blown seals in a long time!

carlbielke

Jul 4, 2002
Ok, gotta chip in here:
Neoprene DOES NOT breathe, it's a closed cell foam. Moisture would not be a problem, as long as it's clean in there. However, with just a teeny weeny bit of sand you'll be wet sanding your forks which is even more abrasive than dry sanding.

The two by fours are great fork savers, but if you have an old shock spring lying around it should fit right in between the front fender and the wheel, definitely classier look, and also free!!

JayPak

Jan 14, 2003
I've heard good things about them - but my buddy bought something called Shock Sox (I think). They work just like seal savers, except that they are more of a wrap with velcro. Therefore, you do NOT have to remove your forks to put them on. And, if your riding conditions dictate that you do not need fork protection, it takes 5 secs to remove them. Again, I have not used them, but my buddy has and they have seemed to work good for him.

Also, as a side note, I'm not sure if Shock Sox - but it was something close to that.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…