Search function

madmax80

~SPONSOR~
Oct 10, 2009
Trying to search "head gasket" using the search this forum button and everytime I get a blank page. WTF?

( ADMIN EDIT: The Search Function has been fixed )

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Meanwhile, don't use copper gaskets on water cooled bikes, install the gasket (hopefully a good brand like Veserah) dry, and make the surfaces mirror clean and smooth before reassembly.

The best way I found to do cleaning is with bamboo kabobs from the grocery store... keep a big bag of them above the work bench, they are hard enough to clean all sorts of things well, but not hard enough to scratch aluminum, and the ends can be cut and shaped depending on the task at hand (flat like a screwdriver for scraping flat surfaces, sharpened like a pencil to get into tight crevices). Use that to get the "chunky" stuff off, gasket remover helps, but brake parts cleaner and wd-40 will work if you are patient.

Then take something like 1000 or 1600 grit paper (look at the auto parts store in the paint section) and put a clean sheet on the flattest surface you can find. At worst this is a clean piece of plywood or laminate, better is a plate of glass, best is the machined surface of your table saw. Spray some light oil on it, and lay the head and jug mating surfaces on it and move in circular motions until everything is shiny and clean... it'll look like a mirror surface.

Then bolt it up with a torque wrench, give it a heat cycle or two, and re-torque it if you want to be safe.

I learned all the hard way with a KLR-250 (overhead cam four stroke). It's one of the reasons I love my KDX-200 (two stroke). The KLR would leak if you didn't do the "heat cycle and re-torque" thing, which because it was overhead cam was a significant PITA. With the KDX, the head comes of easy, and in point of fact rarely has to come off at all... you can take the head off with the jug and leave that fussy little high pressure seal intact. The base gasket (because it sees only crank case pressure, not combustion chamber pressure) seems a lot less fussy.

So anyway, good luck with the search function ;)

madmax80

~SPONSOR~
Oct 10, 2009
So I type in head gasket.....nothing, type in gasket.......works fine. ?????????

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
(I confirmed what you are seeing, I see the same thing... its the term "head" that is causing the problem... maybe somebodies PHP filtering to prevent injection attacks got a little too aggressive...)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
"I would lap both surfaces of the search function, and use the copper spray". So I am not the only one that has bizarre instances with the search section? I sure thought it was from being computer/office ignorant? Vintage Bob

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Searching with "headgasket" works fine.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I was using a t-mobile to try out last week. That sure needs a lot of software work! Good I suppose for on the go, but what a pain to get used to compared to firefox, for moving around the web site. I am just saying, I know nothing about such things. The math makes my head hurt. Vintage Bob

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Thats why I never said anything before! Its just the way we use the search function? Yet another fools with tools area? I AIN'T SCARED TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW, though! Stupid cap lock. Vintage Bob

OldDirtKDX

~SPONSOR~
Dec 14, 2004
I am having the same results (blank page) when I search for Fork Oil Level or Race Sag.
Tried one word search no luck.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009

Ok first I want to start off by saying that I like your idea, those little kabob sticks work wonders.

BUT

I think you have the whole lapping thing wrong. See I build computers, and one of the "mods" us overclockers do is lapping the heatsink and the CPU. The point of lapping is to get a perfectly flat finish, not a shiny one. I would only recommend lapping with a piece of glass, and not a piece of wood. 1000 grit and 1600 grit is pointless, all your doing is shining the object, and not actualy lapping it. These surfaces don't need to be shiny they just need to be flat, they actualy have to be a little on the rough side. I would go no higher then 600 to 800 grit. Take your time, and keep the sandpaper wet and clean is a MUST. 10 strokes back and forth, rotate 1/4 turn, 10 strokes back and forth, rotate 1/4 turn.....so on and so forth.

Time consuming yes, BUT you will have a VERY flat surface, which is what your after. I recommend taking apart the computer your typing on and trying it on the processor before the dirtbike, just so you have practice :laugh: :cool: . And watch those CPU temps drop by 10C

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
A computer engineer by trade? Vintage Bob

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Its about getting a good sealing surface for the gasket... not really making the head flat. If the head isn't flat, you are already in trouble...

To be honest, its about getting all the old gasket off... if you have a mirror finish, the gasket is gone :)

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
A computer engineer by trade? Vintage Bob

Just a hobby really, worked behind one for 3 years (yeah im still young :nener: ), figure I needed to learn what makes them "tick". I now have built and fixed computers for almost everyone I know, and I am slowly making it my trade, just need to start from the bottom and work my way up hopefully. Just hard in this economy.

Im not saying your wrong or anything, just figured I would through my 2 cents out there.

I have built a couple race motors with my dad (he use to drag race). We had built a 383 stroker for his Nova, and a hi-performance 350 for his Camaro. Sealing surfaces need to be a certain "roughness". Polished isn't ideal. The method I was describing is a good way of cleaning the head, and also verifying that its damn near perfectly flat (both of which is what you want)

I could be 100% wrong abput that though when it comes to dirtbikes.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Nope, you are right on track. The mirror finish is a worse sealing surface than the 800 grit for sure. A little extra figuring, I figure? The lapping you are talking about on the pc sounds to me more like "wringing". Pretty sure thats it, it has been 30 some years. You can take any 2 metals of the same size, and get such a fine finish, a light coat of oil can lift the other, like they were joined together. The rails and ways on machine shop tooling is perfectly even and straight, done with an etching type process. I will bet they do not do that anymore by hand, they used too! That is why I will take an older lathe or mill any day over the newer junk. Keep it simple, put the figuring aside, and do it correctly. Frequent head leaks, are probably the top of the cylinder anyways, you use the same process as the head surfacing. Vintage Bob

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…