Second bike for a beginner??

carajean

May 27, 2006
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'3 and 145-150 pounds (female)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Not very but I can be sometimes.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
90% trails with friends maybe some harescrambles later on next season.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
I currently have a TTR-125L that i have been riding for a season.
5) Do you think you will race ?
Barely if at all.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I can do it or I have many male friends to help.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I would prefer a 2 stroke. Looking at the yz 125 or similar.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
I got dealers all around me. They mainly carry all but ktm.
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
Im extremely cheap. $1,000 - 1,500
10) Do you live in California?
Heck no
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I really need a bigger bike. I am not happy with my current bike. There really isnt a lot of power and the suspension kinda blows. I ride in sand a lot and I heard that a bigger bike will really help in the sand. Im really looking forward to getting a 2 stroke. I can get another thumper later in life they arent going anywhere.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
Sounds like maybe a KX/RM100 would do if you could handle the 34" seat height. They make lowering kits for them as well so thats an option to explore.

carajean

May 27, 2006
no my legs are long i can fit nicely on the yz125 with no balance issues. so can get a bigger bike.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
carajean said:
no my legs are long i can fit nicely on the yz125 with no balance issues. so can get a bigger bike.

Well there ya have it. Seems a 125 2T will fit you nicely.

I just got through looking at the 125s on that certain auction site that starts with E and ends with Bay (which is censored out if you out the e and the bay together) and saw some nice deals on 125s.

Do check places like cycle trader dot com or your local classified as well as the auction site mentioned above...you'll get a good idea on what the bargains are in your area.

There are some posts around here somewhere that spell out what to look for when inspecting a used bike. Maybe another poster who remembers the link can post it here for you to make your buying experience a little easier.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
As a KDX owner, I'd have to agree with DBD.

KDX 200s/220s can be found in that price range. More power than a 125 and more tractable power to boot. Very linear power and easy to modulate.

carajean

May 27, 2006
Yeah Im waiting on a good deal. I gotta sell my ttr first which I have had for sale for almost a month. No one seems to be interested in ttr's or buying used bikes since financing is so cheap. But yeah I saw some good deals I cant wait to get rid of it. Someone also told me to look at the KTM lines of 2 strokes the 105 and 125 inparticular. But due to the high price of ktm's I doubt I can afford one. Here in michigan i hardly see any of those models for sale. Im hopeing with the warmer weather coming my bike will soon be sold.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
mandark1967 said:
As a KDX owner, I'd have to agree with DBD.

KDX 200s/220s can be found in that price range. More power than a 125 and more tractable power to boot. Very linear power and easy to modulate.

id have to disagree with that statement, this was also discussed in a thread in this sub-forum as well. a KDX will have more low-end( unless you have messed with the gearing/sprockets of the 125), but as far as overall power, the 125 owns it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…