limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I recently got an email from someone wanting to buy my bike, it said something like - I have a client in the US who owes me money ect ect.  Well I'm not really trusting anyone who emails me (excluding most DRN members), but he seems for real. I gave him my name & adress so he could send the check.

I think I heard someone mention something about people stealing bikes this way.... Obviously I'm not gonna send the bike until I recieve the money (cash the check), has anyone ever had this happen? Is this a bad idea?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I'd stay away from it honestly, I've heard of scams like these and it seems pretty odd. They could be using someones washed check to pay forit as well, that's why the different name used, who knows. Be careful,
Elk

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
MONEY TALKS BS WALKS! Get it cashed. Then ship it. I prefer “post office money orders.”

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I agree with Marlin but what I caution is if checks are stolen, they are washed and new payees are put in for the new amount. The account holder may not know that they are basically paying for this item. Just confirm that you are dealing with the right people, that's all.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I wouldn't do it when I posted my YZ 125 forsale I got some funky emails like that. I came to the conclusion if you really wanted to buy the bike from me you'd want to see it in person and buy it from me directly. I'd only deal with someone in person on this and I prefer cash. I agree with elk on this it could be a scam and that would be alot of cash to be out of cause you couldn't excise some paitence don't get too desperate someone will buy it. It took me 3 months to sell my '02 yz 125 for 3300 and it was in pristine condition the first person who came and looked at it bought it.

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
I was in a computer fraud course in November and the retired Secret Service Agent instructing the course talked about a scam just about identical to what you have described. It's just like Elk said.

I wouldn't mess with it either.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
So is there anybody here who could verify that the person associated with the acount number that appears on the bottom of the check is someone who actualy wants that check to pay for a bike?

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
To many varibles to answer that question I work for a bank and do customer service so I know more then a teller. If its a personal check you gotta work for that bank to check it most banks won't verify info over the phone you have to take your chances with cashing it and we never verify if it's been stopped. Offical checks and money orders are considered to be garunteed funds but even those can still be stopped by whoever issued it or by the purchaser's request no questions asked on why either. Unless your the owner of the account good luck in getting any kind of detailed info you'd be basically SOL. Use to Verify funds on checks but back in Aug we no longer, and I know Bof A doesn't now and wells fargo doesn't. More and more banks are not doing that anymore. So basically nothing is garunteed unless you got the cash in hand.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Gomer, the problems lies in the fact that the person writing the so-called check may have a fraudlant driver's license in the name of the victim. Unfortunately, the check may be good but the victim may have no idea that the check was written until the account is gone through. Banks can verify funds on a check but that doesn't say that the person writing it is honest. It'll tell you that there is the money in the account but it isn't THEIR account.

Personal checks are scary but what could be done is that the person buying should go with you to the bank of issuance and they can cash the check themselves and verify who they are to the bank. Banks will know if the license is valid or the person is fraudulant. It comes down to how much work you want to do to sell the bike and how much of an inconvienence it will be. If the buyer won't go with you to the bank, tell him to take a hike, if he comes after hours for obvious reasons, make him wait till tomorrow. If he won't, walk away, it ain't worth it.

It's not that you will be screwed out of the money if the check is washed, but it will contribute to the loss to the victim. This iw where selling to a dealer or trading to them pays off even though you don't get top dollar. My .02 cents I guess. Hope this helps
Elk

Last edited:

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Couldn't you call the person listed on the check? Usually there is an address and sometimes a phone number.
Lew

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Yes you could. Most of the time, thieves won't go THAT far as to change that info also so it might work for you. I say, go to their bank with the buyer and cash it right there with them or just take cash. It's tough when the purchaser is out of the area and you are doing it through the mail, unless of course, it's a DRNer.;)

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
My feeling is that unless you know the person, taking a personal check for a bike is never a good idea. I learned that one the hard way when I was younger and dumber. At worst you could get taken. At best you still have to hassle with insuring that the check clears. Complicated stories (i.e. "My dog was sick on my check book, so this check is from my sister's boyfriend") are signs from above to walk away from the deal as fast as you can. When I sell a bike now it's either cash or a certified check. Makes things a lot simpler.

Top Bottom