desertrider24

Feb 1, 2007
I am looking for a little help on setting my sag on my 2006 300 XC for riding and racing desert. I have heard a number of different measurements and would like a little help.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Static bike sag (sag under its own weight) should be right around 35-45mm. I run mine at 35 mm static and 110mm rider/race sag (sag from rider w/ full gear and in your case gear pack). Some guys claim they like closer to 45 mm static and 120mm race, but I tend to get a better bite w/ the stiffer numbers as well as better stability. We ran 35mm and 110mm in Baja on the BPD 525 and it did awesome

I set my static sag first as on a KTM this is the critical measurement that will tell you if your spring rate is correct. If at 35-45 mm you get more than 120mm race sag you need a stiffer spring. Conversely, if you aren't getting near 110-120mm race sag you need a lighter spring. The main thing is don't change the static sag to get your race sag...get your static sag and then check. You can adjust race sag a bit of course, but always go back and check your static sag to make sure you are still in spec.

Main thing is not exceed more than about 10-15mm of spring preload from a hand tight spring collar to achieve those numbers above. The idea is to have the spring compressed as little as possible under its own weight.

Top Bottom