HammerXR

Jul 10, 2001
I am having a problem with my ’95 XR 250R.

When the motor is cold, the bike can be shifted into all gears easily and properly. Clutch operation is normal, with no detectable slipping or dragging. Everything seems to be normal.

However, when the bike has warmed up fully, the transmission does not want to go into 1st gear. From a stop, in neutral, I pull in the clutch normally, and tap the shift lever down, but the bike will not drop into first. If I slip the clutch (let it out just a bit), while applying downward pressure to the shift lever, it will drop into 1st. I also miss the 2nd to 1st downshift sometimes, because of this same problem. Again, even when I am experiencing this problem, the clutch seems to be normal, with no slipping or dragging.

I have looked at the clutch basket, without removing it. The fingers appear to be fine, from the outside, with no visible wear or damage. The clutch springs are well within the service limit (measuring their length). I could not inspect the clutch plates, as there is a special removal tool required.

Where should I look next? Is this a case where the shift shaft or shifter parts are damaged? If so, why is there no problem when cold?

Or are my clutch plates simply worn out? They are original and the bike has been trail ridden for 6-7 years – but I don’t abuse the clutch like a 2-stroker might.

Please, any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks,
HamXR250

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Well the heat issue may indicate a clutch drag issue. If you stop the bike when hot then the gear will engage fine right?

Hmm, bit confused with symptoms

OK clutch drag, causes most likely, ridges in the basket & warped steel plates. Can be ‘coned’. Can’t remember XR basket but usually pretty easy to take plates out of most things. If you need to undo a nut then a rattlegun will whiz it right off, or jam the gears with a sturdy piece of plastic or rag.

I assume that the clutch is properly adjusted. Does it drag a little when hot? Oh you say it doesn't. . .

Hmm, next up
OK if it is a shifter problem then 1st to 2nd shift is most likely as it is the furthest & biggest torque change.

First things first. Is the lever loose? & or brushing against anything when pushed down? (remember it travels furthest to 1st). Is the shift shaft bent?

Then I would inspect the shift ‘star’ that the shaft operates upon (bottom left of clutch). Operate it & see if it goes in easily. Some levers have a shift adjustment. Failing all that maybe a shift fork is a bit bent & doesn’t quite want to push it that far.

Tell us what you find. Or get back with more info. Good luck.

Last edited:

HammerXR

Jul 10, 2001
David - thanks for the reply.. (First time I've corresponded with a fellow from NZ. Very nice to do so.)

Clutch adjustment seems fine.. Bike is easy to start, in gear, with the clutch pulled in. And it seems not to pull at all when in gear, with the clutch pulled...

Lever seems to be OK, though, on my next ride, I plan to make some big changes in adjustment - just to see if it changes the symptoms noticeably. Lever does not brush against anything during it's motion.

Shift shaft may be bent, I have not inspected it. I have only removed the side cover and done a visual inspeation of what I could see, with the clutch plates and basket still on the bike. Did not see anything wrong with shift star..

I love your term "rattlegun." I am sure you mean "air impact wrench" - but I like your name for it much better. I have said tool, but there is a special socket required for the retaining nut. I may try to cook up a special socket to see if I can get the nut off. (I hate to have a dealer do a lot of work, especially if I can do the work myself.)

Thank You again David!

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Yeah not sure where I picked up the term rattlegun, a quaint colloquialism from some mechanic I guess. Don’t expect everyone to have a compressor but couldn’t live without one now. Sadly male ego being what it is, I feel I need a bigger one. :silly:

Leaned away from the dragging theory, it was just -it gets worse when hot makes you think something is affected.
Infact it seems to drop into gear when you let the clutch out a bit so it does drag.

This means the selector drum isn’t turning quite enough to pass by neutral into the next gear (1st). It may get pulled in or vibrate in. The hooks that pull the shifter drum (that the star is attached to) may be bent (don’t think XRs have adjustment here).

The star may have a sharp edge preventing the roller passing cleanly over the raised neutral position. Check the roller is ok & spring, maybe it binds slightly or a bolt is backing out.

If this & your lever gets a clean bill of health then I would start to think shift fork or some play in the rod it slides along, or sliding gear binds up. All out of easy access sadly.

When the bike is hot;
Just out of interest if you are in 2nd & stationary & bike won’t go into 1st does it go into neutral or stay in 2nd? I’m assuming it shifts but doesn’t get past neutral. So now you are in neutral & not getting into 1st. What if you kill the engine? Presume it doesn’t drop in unless you rock bike back & forward?

HammerXR

Jul 10, 2001
Thanks - I will investigate things a bit further.

I found that a buddy of mine has the special socket required for clutch plate removal. I think I'll be replacing the plates anyway, as they have 6 or 7 riding seasons on them. And I'll make sure that the lever and adjustments are ruled out as sources of the problem.

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Xrman

Top Bottom