yortz

May 16, 2004
A quick question here / I have noticed that shifting has become alot more difficult lately, now I did change oil [post break in ] to 10-40 auto oil. It also seems when going down a fairly step trail in gear,and with the clutch in,it does not want to coast, seems to be dragging. [pain in the ass].However after start up, and pulling in clutch it seems that clutch is adjusted fine. So I guess I am wondering is the oil the problem,or is it more serious.?? thanks in advanced.

GrassMaster

Dec 22, 2003
NO NO NO........not auto oil. Never use car oil it will cause your clutch to slip. Its got something to do with friction modifiers. Some people wont have problems and others will, ive never put that type oil in any of my bikes. Just change it and see what happens.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Sure there are some auto oils that should be avoided but there are many others that should work just great for you. That said your best bet is to avoil oils with an EC rating as they will contain friction modifiers they may effect your clutch. Mobil 1 15w50 is a popular choice, generic type F ATFor Mobil 1 synthetic ATF are also popular. If you are going to try Mobil 1 you'll want to stick with the 15w50 as other weights contain additives that may reduce clutch performance. You'll find that these oils will deliver performance better than or equal to the " motorcycle specific " oils at a fraction of the price.

David

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
I heard gastrol MTX gear oil is good and that is what I run. Seems to work fine. Does anyone know any more in detail about this gear oil?

Top Bottom