Shifting Without the Clutch, Your Thoughts?

Slips

Jan 24, 2004
I read that downshifting w/out is ok on the motor but upshifting is hard on them because of the torque problem and a clutch should be used to ease wear and tear on upshifts.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
I rarely use the clutch during upshifts.. just back off the throttle slightly and it snicks right up. I have a 2003 CR250R and a 1995 YZ125. Even as old as it is, the YZ shows no adverse effects and shifts 'like new'. I always clutch and blip on downshifts.

It's more habit than anything; not something that I concentrate on conciously and not something I plan to change.

-Pace

Feb 20, 2004
well i think of it as this when i have the throttle pinned and i pull and drop the clutch i go way faster and like a car if u grind gears u mess your tranny up. so its there for a reson USE IT

mxninmn

Mar 1, 2004
shifting

I think the point is to have the load off the tranny. For instance when up shifting you can take the load off the gears by backing off the throttle for a split second or by grabbing enough clutch to do the same thing. It's not like the transmission gears come to a stop in the time it takes to complete a shift, its all about engine and countershaft speed synchronization. Same goes for a downshift (4 stroke more so), you don't want full engine braking on a 4 stroke, just enough throttle to take the load off and it shifts smooth.
Benefits: I have found that I almost never hit neutral when not using the clutch if i do end up in a 1-2 upshift. Also fatigue is less for me when using throttle to make smooth shifts.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…