Shock Plunger for servicing

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
My local suspension shop utilizes a plunger to force fluid through the compression adjuster when servicing a shock. He swears by this method in regards to ensuring that all the air is bled from this area. I'll have to admit, when he services my shocks, they work well; real well. I've utilized Jer's technique in the past; which is to screw the compression adjuster in just far enough for the o-ring to seal; then pour fluid in the bladder body, let seep through to shock body, then slowly screw compression in to seat. The rotation of the comp adjuster exposes all air pockets and releases accordingly. How do you guys do this? Anybody else use this plunger method? Anyone know where to find these plungers? Both methods seem to work. But I'll have to admit the plunger method is much quicker.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
This is interesting. It must be hard to find a plunger just the right size. Did it look like a real plunger?

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I made one from an old 46mm shock piston, some shims and a T handle.

MSracer

~SPONSOR~
Feb 5, 2003
Look in the White brothers catalog , they have a picture of one for the WP shocks. Pretty simple and easy to make.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Are they using it to push the oil from the bladder side or the shock shaft side? If they are using the shock shaft side, then why not using the shock piston as the plunger? You would then poor oil in the shock body first, then use the piston on the shock shaft to push it to the other side and then install the bladder instead of the other way around.

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
The easiest way is simply to half fill the reservoir. Insert the bladder ensuring that oil overflows displacing all the air and then after you install the circlip, inflate the bladder to 50psi and the pressure will force oil through the compression adjuster displacing any trapped air. Simple.
Terry

Phillip04

Feb 18, 2004
I agree with Terry. I have tried this method with no problems.
You can see all the trapped air escape back into the shock body once the bladder is pressurized. Definetly alot easier.

Phill

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I have also been using the Race-Tech method described by Terry; pouring oil in the bladder side up to 1 inch from top so I can install the bladder first and then inflate it to 50 lbs. I find it works great, no problem.

But I was under the impression in the way "MXTex" explains the plunger trick, it allows to bleed air better or makes sure there are no bubbles left in the compression adjuster. I wonder now if this is true. I know there are some shims up there and perhaps it is a valid point that a plunger allows to have the oil go back and forth and perhaps free up more bubbles. Do you guys think the plunger trick is better at bleeding the compression adjuster or if the usual Race-Tech method is just as good?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
No such thing as a perfect bleed -so you always have some bubbles-as long as we have a tiny amount it doesnt affect performance, i dont think the plunger will make any real difference,i use the same technique as terry.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
I also use the same method as Terry and Marcus. On the 04 KXF KYB, there's a bleed screw at the top of the shock. I use that to remove a few bubbles trapped in the shock, most likely from the seal head installation. Seems to me there's always gona be a bit of air trapped there, upon it's installation.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I love that feature-makes you feel good if you attach a little reseviour and watch all the bubbles come out.About 5 stokes and you have most of them removed, now if were really anal(lol steve) you can attach a good vaccum using a large type industrial syringe and really pull all the dissolved air out as well, that was my method for the pds.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…