csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
Hey guys, ripped my shock apart tonight, took a bit of time because it was the first time, but its done.

ive got a few questions and concerns.

Everything came apart good, the bladder looks good and the rod for the shock is not in to bad of shape.

The shock head seal for sure needs to be replaced, but I have a few concerns beyond that.

There is another part at the bottom of the rod, its like a shim stack. It looks like there is an oring missing off this, and it is no were to be found, also it appears as if the end piece is worn down, maybe because the oring was gone it rubbed on the walls of the casting.

The inside of the casting seems to be alright, but I cant know for sure.

Question #2 on the end of the shim stack there is a nut, that wont come off, im guessing this is the one I have to grind at to get off? if i grind the lock off, what happens when I put it back together?

Ill upload pictures, thanks!

This is the nut I think i need to grind at the lock to get off, seem right?
5lav0l.jpg

This is the what I thought was missing an oring, my finger is pointing to were it looks like there should be one.

Also, the metal around the oring is worn, because the oring is not there, does that mean my shock is junk?

2vvnc4n.jpg

EYY

May 22, 2010
You will need to carefully grind the top of the shaft off in order to remove that nut. I've always just used high strength Loctite on the nut after replacing the seals. You can buy the seals on eBay for reasonable prices.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
Alright, got everything apart, and now I only have 1 problem with my shock, everything is good except the inside end head peice on the shaft, the end "shims/stacks" they look worn, have not been able to find a replacement.

if this is worn, does that mean the inside of my tube is worn and the shock is junk?

This is a picture of what im talkin about, I labled in green what im talking about
28kkm7a.jpg

"worn and "not worn" you can see it has been rubbing on the inside of the housing, but the housing looks alright. Is there supposed to be an oring on there? thanks!

EYY

May 22, 2010
It might be worth checking of the shaft is straight. If it isn't, you may want to try searching for another second hand shock. It looks like it might have taken a bit of abuse.
What year Kdx is it off?

I'm by no means a shock expert, but I have rebuilt them before. I'm sure somebody here will be able to point you in the right direction for the parts you will need if you do decide to rebuild this one. :)

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
oh, I might have worded it wrong, let me clarify.

The bike was bought and the shock was blown, at this point I didnt not realize that it was bad, then I started realizing it should not bounce so much, but i finished off the year with the blown shock and got a new bike

Now im going through the bike and when we pulled the shock out the shaft wobbled around in the housing and when we pulled it apart we figure this was because it didn't even have a seal/oring on the dampening rod.

I think if i can get a new oring for the dampening end then I will be able to make the shock work.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
28kkm7a.jpg

I think I will be able to explain what im saying better with the picture above.

In the picture I point out the wear, but also notice there is a grove that looks like there should be an O RING located there, in the middle of the dampening thing.

There was no oring on this when I pulled the shock apart, I think that i what caused the end to wear weird.

Were can I get a new oring? or should I just get a new shock.

EYY

May 22, 2010
I'm fairly sure that there isn't supposed to be an O-ring on the piston/valve assembly. Although iirc, there should be some kind of bush at the top where it has worn.

If it were me, i'd be on the lookout for another second hand one. The cost of the new parts you would need to fix that one I suspect would exceed that of a good second hand shock.

Good luck

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
wow that thing is nasty nasty and from the looks of things I would just pick up another shock and try again. there is not any orings in the shim stack that I recall

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
How is the chrome on the shaft? What year is this from?

I have a 95 KDX 200 shock in pieces in a zip lock bag. It was in decent shape except for the chrome on the shaft, which had started coming off. I "bagged" the shock as a result, as I expect trying to use it will just chew up whatever new seal I put in there. Its on a shelf though... and aside from that shaft was in OK shape.

If it's a match, I ought to buy your shaft, or you ought to buy my shock, and put them in the same zip lock bag on a shelf somewhere. That being said, by the time you price out the seal and the nitrogen refill, you are probably better off finding a good shock on ebay (if they haven't dried up yet).

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
I have talked to a few people on kdxrider about buying used shocks off them.

The shaft on my shock is good, all chrome very little rust ( what it did has scotch brighted out just fine.

If you would be willing to sell what you have I would be willing to give you some money for it.

my email is csdwarf@gmail.com let me know what you think. Not sure what will fit ect.

Thanks!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom