rideright

Sep 26, 2002
At what level do you race??

Do you have the correct springs now?

Have you had the suspension revalved and are you keeping the fluids changed?

What is your main reasoning for want to us a Ti spring?

YES, waaaaaaaay lighter. Also, if you buy them, IMO you need to prequalify the place you buy them from to ensure you get a good spring.

snsfalcon

Jun 14, 2003
What do you me prequalify? I thought only RCS was making them. White Bros carries RCS and I know RG3 has ti-springs but I don't know what brand.

mop

Mar 28, 2003
Titanium springs are a touchy subject because of several factors. First of all, they give a different "feel" than steel springs because of the memory of titanium. Even if the spring rate is identical, titanium springs will have a different action than a steel spring. It is difficult to describe for most riders, but some have said that it gives the feeling of a "quicker rebound" action. I have never seen a situation where a rider chose a different rate in steel and titanium, but most have chosen ti over the steel. Secondly, titanium is somewhat unpredictable in the durability department: sometimes they break very early in their life, sometimes very late. Most factory teams log the time on each spring and change them prematurely for safety. Third, they are very expensive. Between 2 to 3 times more expensive than a steel spring. BUT if you are spending money in the interest of saving weight, they are VERY economical: spending $100-200 on ti nuts and bolts will not come close to the weight savings of a ti spring.
SO, if you want to save weight, be trick, can afford 2 or 3 ti springs for the year, or don't care if you DNF sometimes, a titanium spring is a reasonable investment. I don't mean to put them in a negative light, but all a ti spring manufacture can really do is guarantee their springs with replacement or money back. They can't guarantee that they won't break unexpectedly (well, neither can steel spring makers, but the odds are better in their favor).

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
To my knowledge, RCS is the only company making Ti springs. Everybody selling them is getting them from RCS. JTT said it best and I agree with him.

00kawa125

May 16, 2001
The question is, "Is this the difference between me and the front?" I saw the lap times of a couple of Nationals and Bubba ran very close to same lap times as Ricky. With half the engine size. Just a thought.

Top Bottom