slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
The vfxr is lighter, more compact and has a nicer liner. Ive used both and the fx is par with hjc or fox. I have now a arai vxpro and a shoei vfxr and the aria cost 520 and the shoei cost 340 and I totally prefer the shoei. Its more comfortable and has better vision because it is closer to your head and face. And you cant beat the weight of it. All in all in helmets you usually get what you pay for, but I would pay the price for the vfxr and choose it over arai any day of the week. :)

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
So is the vxfr worth $80 more than the fx4. I can get a fx4 for $100 or an vfxr for $180. Part of a circuit year end award. Should I spend the extra $$$?? I can also get an HJC for $60.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I would get the VFX-R. THey are soooo comfy, look sweet and are alot lighter than most helmets on the market.
BTW, that is a smokin price. Mind tellin how you can get one that cheap?

Miltonyz

Sponsoring Member
Apr 12, 2001
I can also get an HJC for $60.
I would go with the HJC. You get a helmet that is also Snell rated for a much better price. Some people claim much better comfort out of a more expensive helmet. Maybe I have a freak head but the HJC feels very comfortable to me. I am assuming that the HJC is an ACX1. If so on the MxSouth website the VFX-R has a claimed weight of 47oz.
The ACX1 has a claimed weight of 2.9lbs. Which means at 16oz to a pound it weighs in at 46.4oz. Thats about the same as the Shoei.
If the HJC is an CL-X series it wieghs half a pound or eight ounces more.

In summary the HJC is rated Snell approved just like the Shoei.
The HJC it is either lighter or depending on brand 8oz heavier then the VFX-R.
That leaves comfort and styling. I have never had a problem with HJC comfort. Maybe you should try it on first to see how it feels. As for styling there is no way in the world I would pay three times the price on a helmet simply becuase it is prettier.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
The Blackjack Enduro Circuit gives a year end prize. This years prize is a gear bag with you name class and placing on it. You have the option to "upgrade" to a helmet with the Blackjack Logo, name and class placing on it. I got a shoei a few years back. It's time for a new helmet but I can't decide which to get.

Pretty good prize for racing eight races, doesn't matter whether your first or last in the end you still get the prize.:) :)

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I know what you mean Justin, as I am in the same boat. My first helmet was an HJC and I really liked it (Kathi wears it now). I have since purchased an O'neal (two years ago) and my Arai (just before the spodefest). I dont need a helmet, but will probably go that route, as my gear bags dont last very long and arent waterproof. I am leaning strongly toward the HJC helmet. As to the Shoei being more comfortable than the Arai, it must truly be a personal thing. My Arai is awesome and the Shoei fits decent but with nowhere near the comfort (IMHO). As to your dilemna, just get something soon and retire that "skunk" helmet that you have now! Maybe blackjack can modify their sticker for your helmet by removing the tree so that it more resembles the majority of Kansas.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I was hoping that the new ones would resemble the old ones just so mx547 wouldn't be dissapointed.:p

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Just for the record,

I recently received a Shoei VFX & an Answer M8 from Bob's Cycle (they were OK with the buy 2 return 1 concept). The Shoei fits my head much better than the Answer; actually my old Thor SVS fits better than the Answer although the venting is not so good. IMO heads & helmets come in drastically different shapes & you have to try on different brands. The only down side of the Shoei (other than price) is that it is a bit harder to hear conversation when you take a quick break.

Top Bottom