Phil

Nov 17, 1999
Looks like I've got a photo pass lined up for the Grand Rapids round of the Arenacross series. I'm excited since it's my first photo cred at a pro event. That being said, I've got almost no experience with flash photography for moto (or most anything else for that matter).

I have a 580EX II coming in a few days that I'll be using on a 40D with a 70-200L. I do OK with the outdoor stuff, but this has me a little nervous. Any advice?

Phil

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
For flash I would start at Iso 400 1/250 and f5.6. Leave the flash on ettl and fire away. Check your exposure and adjust accordingly with FEC. If it gets real smoky or dusty the flash might cause you more trouble than it's worth. If you need to shoot at ISO 1600 or even 3200 do it. Remember a noisy image is better than an image that is blurry because your shutter speed is too slow. And lastly do not under expose to increase your shutter speed. When you bring it back in post you will have way more noise than if you would have just increased your ISO.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
good luck to you guys, and congrats on the credentials, Phil.

I read some advice, ( I think at a Holiday in express) that basically said, set Auto-ISO on, and use manual settings, taking some pre-test shots, etc., to find the range of settings possible.

Top Bottom