Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
ok,, in eric's book, he says a long silencer with small opening is best for bottom end power,, then how can fmf say a shorty silencer is best for bottom end? Can it be that fmf shorty isnt for low rpm lug, but for getting the rpms up faster so power valve will open sooner?

Kiwi MX

Oct 20, 2002
From my own experience the Shorty does 4 things.
1.makes the bike rev faster to get "on the pipe" sooner
2.makes heaps more noise to intimidate the opposition into ballsing up.
3.blows the packing within 10hrs max.
4.because its tucked away it helps make you look stupid when you kick it over and can't get it to stay lit...cause the bung is still in :)

Seriously tho I owned 2 01 YZ 125s and my wife had one at one stage. We did heaps of tests, drag racing them out to the Lord of the Rings Set, SX, hillclimbs etc. The Shorty had NO effect on top speed BUT it did take off quicker (one bike length to the first turn) and cleared jumps out of turns way more confidently. :thumb:

If you ride hard just carry extra packing in your pit gears, you'll hear the pitch change when its time to replace it. It'll look like a smoking gun when shut down too... :)

Simon

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
A theory is all well and good-however due to the nature of a 2 stroke engine they dont always do as they are told.I have found the only way to work is to constantly try anything/everything and learn from what you see/feel rather than what it SHOULD do.Dont assume anything and you can make progress.

eg a 2000 KTM 125 i had on the dyno-put a shorty silencer on it-gained 1hp on top-held the power for longer and had more overrev, no loss in bottom.Each engine is different.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom