Should a KDX idle?

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
1) does your KDX idle? For how long? Mine doesn't. It'll burble for a couple of seconds and then die. I think it's running rich. See next question.

2) If you open the airbox does the bike run richer or leaner? I'm thinking richer and therefore you need to use smaller jets.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I printed that document out a long time ago, but when I open up my air box, it sure feels richer. Doesn't do the "lean bog" and I get more smoke out of the pipe. Oh well, I'll go play with it some more.

Likewise, with the idle- it feels rich. There's no "run on" and lots of smoke.

I'm at 6,000' elevation, 96 KDX200, FMF Torque pipe, ISDE silencer, stock air box cutout removed- now duct taped over. I'm running a 152 main, 42 pilot, needle all the way down (clip on the top). If I move the clip down one (raise the needle), it runs worse. Now, "worse" is actually pretty good once it gets warmed up, but I'm trying to make it run really clean and smooth all the way down. When I drop down to the Amarillo TX area (4,000), the bike runs like a champ.

Last edited:

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Your pilot should probably be a 40 or maybe even a 38 at 6000'. I'd start with a 38 and air screw at 1 1/2 out. Fine tune from there.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
You could probably even stand to have your head milled and dome reshaped to give you some higher compression.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Wait- I lied... the jetting is a 152 main, 42 pilot- I just went out and checked. Glad to know you think a 40 or 38 would be appropriate 'cause that's what I was thinking, too.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
JasonWho said:
Try a 40.

I ordered a 40 and a 38, as well as a couple main jets of both sides of 152. When I leave the ranch to go riding somewhere else, I either go down 2,000' or up 2,000', so having both larger and smaller jets will be nice. I suspect the 40 will work well, since, like I said, when I drop down to Amarillo, the bike runs really well.

TIP: don't leave brass jets rattling around. I have some spare mains and the threads are all rounded off from bouncing around in a film can.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Results: I popped the 40 pilot and 150 main jet and the bike idles. Still a little rich, but it runs stronger off the bottom and warms up much faster. I think I'll move my needle back one notch and play with it some more.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
mine idles like it has fuel injection
i kick it (usually starts with one or two kicks) it idles fine with choke on then idles fine when i take choke off. :yeehaw:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: '..like it has fuel injection.'

Not sure what that means. I hear a whole lot of cars at the local track that are injected that don't idle for diddle.

My tracker is fuel injected. It doesn't idle for diddle, either.

Maybe '..like...fuel injection,' is a bad thing?

You might check the nylon adjuster that adjusts the idle (by holding the slide in different positions in the carb bore). It can get 'goobered' (technical term) such that it doesn't perform its function.

Maybe your slide is sitting too low..not adjusted and not adjustable.

You didn't mention if the idle speed was correct while it is idling.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Braahp said:
You could probably even stand to have your head milled and dome reshaped to give you some higher compression.
I agree. At that elevation, 6,000 ft., it would sure bring things back into perspective. For $40 Ron does a great job. Look up RB Designs and check his website. Describe your symptoms and he will recommend a solution. Just remember, if he gives you sound advise, have him do the work. He needs to eat too.
Ron did work on my bike's head and it really helped me out.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
oh yeah he did my head and carb( actually a new airstriker) too. and the jetting he put in the carb was spot on. how'd he do that?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…