Mar 1, 2005
I am looking at a 1996 KDX 200. I rode it yesterday and this is what I saw.

-FMF fatty w/silencer (one med. size dent)
-Aftermarket grafix on ok plastic.
-Cracked back fender.
-Ran good

The major issue is the broken back hub. I will need an new hub or preferably a whole tire/rim/spoke/hub assembly. I know this is the expensive part. I have him to $600. Does this sound like its worth fixing?

Thanks,
Matt

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
$600 wtf take it you can find whole rims on e<>bay for 100 bucks or less at times. You might even be able to find 1 on here where someone bought a talon rim and hub and dont need the old 1.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Sounds like a good deal to me!

While busted hubs are not unheard of, to me they sure dont seem common. I would make sure to check over the shock and linkage, swingarm etc etc...really close. If the bike was rode hard enough to bust a hub, what else has been pushed to far? Just make sure you are not buying a headache that has had abuse!

Mar 1, 2005
I am sure this bike has seen some abuse. What it has really seen is neglect. I am still trying to figure out if it is worth the investment to try and fix it or just scrap it. I know that it is hard to judge without seeing it. There are a few little things all over the bike that make it rough, but nothing major except the wheel. Just trying to look at all my options.

bigpa

Nov 24, 2003
Yeah and post the sellers phone # too. I just wanted to call him and...err...chastise him for wanting to take your $600...yeah that's I want to call him for...! :cool:

Mar 1, 2005
I dont have any pics. And probably wont go back to the guys house unless its to pick the bike up. Again, there are quite a few things wrong with the bike but the worst is the rear hub. Once I figure out the cheapest way to fix that I will be buying it.

Sorry crossryder, if I don't buy it however, I will give you the #.

Mar 1, 2005
Oh no, it is broken completeley in two. I am not sure how they accomplished this but its bad. I called the guy and told him what I would give him for the bike and he started screaming that his dad wouldn't let him sell it for less than $800. So that broke the deal. I will just wait a little while and prob buy a newer bike thats ready to go.

mitchw

Jan 19, 2003
The price you have negotiated is definitely good. Just be prepared to replace all of the linkage, swingarm, wheel, and steering stem bearings as well--I'm assuming the previous owner didn't have a Type A maintenance personality. Also, ask if the shock and forks were ever serviced. If not, plan on having to get those done, which will require a fluid change and likely replacement of all/most seals and bushings. When you head back over to pick up the bike take a flashlight and an 8mm socket to remove the seat and pull the air filter out and inspect for dirt inside the air boot; this will let you know whether the top and bottom end will need to be redone. Also, you can pretty much count on have to clean the KIIPS valve. Check transmission oil for color--another indicator of maintenance and bike health. Not trying to discourage you, just pointing out this will likely be a project bike for you to tinker with to bring it back to life. I know because I'm currently refurbishing a '96 KDX 200 myself that was in reasonably good shape. Have fun with it, if you decide to get it--just be realistic about the amount of $$ you will need to drop into it to bring it up to your standards. :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom