Should I use Locktite?

Fatherof2

May 17, 2009
The KDX is in many pieces in the basement. I am cleaning and re-greasing everything. Should I use some locktite on all the linkage bolts when I put it all back together? I have some medium strength from Harbor Freight in the tool box.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
A little bit of blue loctite won't hurt anything on those bolts but with proper torque you want have any trouble without it.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Loctite helps prevent corrosion as well........

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Definately use the loktite blue. Keeps things from backing out, but more importantly as Joe points out, it also works as anti-sieze.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
IMO you should be maintaining your bike regularly enough NOT to use locitite. Torque the bolts up as per manual and check ALL bolts on bike regularly. Strip, clean and regrease every 6 months-ish :nod:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Joburble said:
IMO you should be maintaining your bike regularly enough NOT to use locitite. Torque the bolts up as per manual and check ALL bolts on bike regularly. Strip, clean and regrease every 6 months-ish :nod:
3 months, weekly? Right on the money for maintenance, depending on use, abuse, and the dreaded power washer. Over doing, can be as bad as not doing. Those bolts get lobed, loctite is not going to help. Water proof grease rules. Vintage Bob

Fatherof2

May 17, 2009
I am using generous amounts of Bel Ray as I put my KDX back together.

Thanks All,

D.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
3 months, weekly? Right on the money for maintenance, depending on use, abuse, and the dreaded power washer. Over doing, can be as bad as not doing. Those bolts get lobed, loctite is not going to help. Water proof grease rules. Vintage Bob

all good advice, I have been in and out of my kdx swing arm/ linkage a few time and have found the bolts to be tight as I left them without loctite everytime W.P grease is good stuff!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Fatherof2 said:
I am using generous amounts of Bel Ray as I put my KDX back together.

Thanks All,

D.

what does a tube of that cost anyhow?

I just picked up a can of coastal waterproof green grease for $3.99 and used half of it on my axle carrier w/ zerk mod and zerk in swing arm mod on my warrior

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…