showa twin chamber forks- filling?

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
If you've got the manual, use it. I just changed the oil in my CRF450 forks over the weekend, it was actually pretty easy. The only manual I have is the owners manual that came with the bike and it had all the info I needed. One thing that's different between these and KYB's, you don't measure the fluid by how close it comes to the top of the fork, instead you measure by how much you put into the fork....so a Ratio Rite or some other type of measuring cup is mandatory!

rmbro

Jul 28, 2004
I have a manual ordered but Im going out this weekend so I have a manual from a 97 rm its a little different in the filling of the forks. from what I can see I think I have to fill the inner chamber to the top and pump it a few times? to get the bubbles out and it should be 5mm from the top? and then I have to fill the tube with 375cc of fluid does this sound about right?

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
If those numbers are right then yes....the procedure sounds right, at least compared to my CRF. Maybe someone with the same model bike as yours will check the numbers in their manual. The only thing I would be worried about is Suzuki increasing the size of their forks from 97 to '00 and you not putting enough fluid in. Good luck!

rmbro

Jul 28, 2004
thanks jboomer. I think it will all work out, whats the worst that could happen, I could bounce off the first hill ,lose the oil, cartwheel the beast and then I'll know that I did something wrong :laugh:

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
I got some syringes from the local Farm & Fleet- big ones they use on horses- they are graduated, easy to fill by sucking in the right amount of oil and easy to fill the forks without a whole bunch of mess.

Top Bottom