Sight Glass Installation?

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
The sight glass in my 98KX250 clutch cover is shattered and leaking. My service manual does not detail how to replace. I have a new one and it looks like it goes in from the outside. Anybody installed one of these before? I want to ensure I've got it right before I start pressing. Please advise on removal and installation.

Thanks a million.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I've never changed a sight glass on a bike, but most oil sight glasses are, in effect, a bulkhead fitting. There shoud be two parts, one goes through the hole from outside and the other part fastens the unit from the inside...like a nut and an o-ring.
The new one is just one part? A press in fit? Is this an OEM Kaw part?

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Thanks for the response Jaybird. Yes, it's OEM and just one piece. Actually, the way the clutch cover is built, the sight glass has to be removed and installed from the front. I don't see any circlips or snap-rings. The service manaul doesn't indicate any either. I just feel like there would be something there holding it in although the gearbox is not under pressure; I don't think?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I suspect it has a ribbed fit. Ribs facing in direction so that it holds it one way.

There are these type of windows available. The smallest needs a 1/2" hole, and it is threaded 1/2-20. There are also 5/8" and 3/4" avail.

Attachments

• oil-sight.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 160

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If I were going to mount a bulkhead sight, I would probably peen the threads so the nut stayed secure.
They also come in NPT threaded types, if there is enough meat to tap.

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Well, I just pushed the old one out the front from the back and tapped the new one in with a correctly sized socket. It would have been better to press it on with a correctly sized socket and vise. But it's in, not leaking and I;m ready to ride. Oh yea! Thanks for the feedback Jaybird.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…