Silencer had no packing!

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Hey guys I been trying to find out why my 01' Rm 250 has been bogging and running like crap. I took the silencer apart, it was barely togather and most of the packing was fallen out. Also I lost the E-clip on the needle and ordered a new one from suzuki and it doesnt fit... I filled it down a bit and it almost fits flush now in the taper. Should I still raise the clip a notch, it was running rich (but also had no packing). Thanks guys, I wanna get back out there sunday! :cool:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Is the baffle still attached to the end cap? A good source of excess vibration, when they are no longer attached. Now this e clip, you had to file what down to fit the taper? I am getting the impression something is fishy. Are you sure you have the stock carb, needle, or the correct e clip? You need the packing to jet it correctly, but will probably need to change it again after you slow the spooge down a bit. Vintage Bob

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Hmm its an 01' RM 250, the previous owner modded the heck out of it so I'm sure it was jetted. Where the clip attaches on the needle, the need fits up inside a tapered looking thing where the throttle cable attaches. I'll have to snap a few pics a little later when I go back out to work on it. It's a keihin carb btw.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I am familiar with that carb, and the cable set up. Is the keihn stock, or is the mikuni supposed to be on there? What I am fishing for is, the correct parts should be no issue. The carb has id marks for getting the correct parts for. If the cable end is the issue, thats easily fixed, them ends are like lead? I would have picked up a Honda cable and throttle assembly though. Vintage Bob

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
The guy who used to own it rode it in the ama pro's so it's all modded out, but it is the stock pwk 37 with the tps sensor. The problem is that lead piece that you were talking about where the cable connects, the needle and clip has to slide up in that taper perfectly especially to jet it correct. The oem clip I ordered for an 01' RM 250 doesnt even fit in there, so I've been filling it down a bit to try and get it the perfect size to fit in the taper right. Ahhh what a pita, and I need to repack the silencer today as well too. Here's a crappy pic from the iphone, but you can see how the needle and clip slide into the bore where the cable connects. I'm just trying to get it all back togather right for the weekend! :bang:

Last edited:

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
okay well i got it all back togather, and the silencer repacked... it seemed like the clip didnt quite fit in the bore as far so i left it on the 2nd from bottom position, and am going to try it out with the silencer properly packed. Gonna get a fresh BR8ES plug run it once day and see how it looks after with some 93 pump and yamalube 40:1

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If its the right carb, then its the wrong cable? It should work if you get it close, you do have some adjustment in the cable length? Make sure you have some free play and the cable routed correctly. Nothing like a wfo unexpected ride! Vintage Bob

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
well got it all back togather with the clip in the same position and the silencer packed... still seems to be bogging a little, but I havent really got to ride it much yet. EDIT: it did run really strong for the first few minutes, so i pulled it apart to raise the clip one notch and it was just laying there... gonna raise it a notch and put it all back togather, hopefully it doesnt fall off again! :bang:

Last edited:

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
okay well i raised it a notch, inserted the clip end where the throttle cable connects and tightened it down on the slider. go figure somehow the top of the needle got all bent up along with the clip and broke when i tried straighting it! It might have been time for a new needle anways, I could feel a tiny wear spot on it maybe thats my problem. BTW it's a N3WK needle with a 163 main, gold series pipe, and vforce delta reeds. Thanks for all the advice everyone, I know i ask alot of questions but I'm trying to learn!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I would highly recommend either getting one of Eric's books on MX performance, and/or send your top end to him. The intake has 2 bridges, stock they are too narrow. they break the skirt off. Keep an eye out for 2 scour marks on the intake side of the piston. The bridges can be welded thicker and replated. Someone knows if the 04 cylinder will fit? Funny thing about motors when they come back, stock jetting usually works great! Vintage Bob

Last edited:

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
yeah its a flat top piston with the intake side cut out in the skirts, oem i believe.
Well i ordered another N3WK needle and clip, should be in on tuesday. I checked and do have the right cable/connector in the carb... I was just wondering if the needle and clip were supposed to actually fit inside where the cable connects because its tapered in there and the stock oem clip didnt fit inside without filling it down.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I read that all wrong. The clip should easily seat at the bottom of the slide. And there should be a slight shoulder the clip sets in. That part you have been filing is supposed to hold the clip down against the slide. The needle does not seat up into the cable piece. Vintage Bob

Last edited:

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
yeah its kind of hard to explain, but if you look into the cable piece from the theaded end its tapered inside... I could have sworn that the clip that came out was seated inside of the cable end piece that screws onto the slide. Maybe thats why the bike was running so rich, and none of the clips fit inside the taper end anyways?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…