bully1027

Jul 17, 2002
when i pour oil into my case it goes in clear or yellow/brown tint, when i drain it its silver. this leads me to believe its metal shavings or particles that cahnges the color. do yalls bikes do this to oil? i was thinking of flushing my case. i was wondering if i should flush it w/ kerosine and refill w/ oil, ride 10 min or so and then change oil again. any suggestions???

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
You probably have aluminum clutch plates. The aluminum quickly contaminates the oil. The silvery stuff you see is aluminum particles so it is important to change your crankcase oil at a minimum every other ride. When you replace your clutch you can get steel plates if you want, they will last a little longer and contaminate the oil a little less. I wouldn't worry and I don't feel you need to flush the cases. Just keep up on your oil changing and you'll be fine.

MikeT

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by mprest4
is it silver or grey? water/coolant will turn oil gray
No, water/coolant turns the oil white.

bully1027

Jul 17, 2002
will the aluminum clutches wear out fast?
the oil is silver it has a irridescent hugh to it, this is caused by metalic particles. i dont think its from coolant, it looks like metal flake just really fine flakes like shavings.

maybe ill just stop using my clutch :)

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Aluminum plates do wear out quicker than steel ones.

Tamean

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2001
If after 10 minutes of riding your oil is grey and metalic, there's a problem. Your riding the clutch a lot or it's slipping by itself. Try stiffer clutch springs if you don't ride the clutch, or just use the clutch for starting. Also, your cable could be adjusted wrong. I use Gear Saver, when it goes in it's red, 15 rides later it's a dull red.

just my .02 cents

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Tamean
I use Gear Saver, when it goes in it's red, 15 rides later it's a dull red.
15 rides? Do you have aluminum or steel plates? Good points on cable adjustment and springs.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom