xharley

Oct 18, 2002
I'm back to the dirt bike scene after a 20 year hiatus (new KX 250). Is it OK to use tire sealants such as slime? I'm not racing or anything...just goofin off (2nd childhood probably). I would never use this stuff in my crotch-rocket...but it would seem on the surface that it wouldn't hurt anything and would same me some money (lots of thorn trees where i ride). Whats the good word?

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
IMHO, being a former tire tech, I would never use the stuff. I've not seen it work well enough or long enough to warrent its use.

Besides, ever change at tire/tube with that stuff in it while it's leaking all over the place? :flame: If it won't hold air I change it.

Just my $.02

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I use Slime in my tires on both my MX and mountain bike and have had good results. As Faded stated it is messy. :) It also throws the balance of your wheels off slightly. I only notice this on big jumps, no big deal, just a feeling you get used to. But after dealing with a couple of flats on the trail I decided to try it and haven't had a flat in 3 years. If the bike sits around for a couple of weeks I need to add air but they hold well once I start riding.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I haven't had a flat since I started using it along with extra heavy duty tubes. That isn't to say that its necessarily the reason but...

If I was only on a track or not going very far from the truck I wouldn't use it but I don't want to patch a tube or change one way out in the middle of nowhere.

If you use slime - make sure you get the type for tires w/tubes. Moose also markets some orange tire goo.

I haven't seen much of a mess, let the air out, pop the valve core back in while taking the tube out and its pretty clean.

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
Do you inject the slime after the flat on the trail or before you go riding? Sounds like before. I guess I've been lucky so far on the trail with no flats. But it would be a long push back.

Top Bottom