Slipping Kickstart, Yellowing Tank?

Bman

Apr 28, 2000
I had my dad look at a 95 CR250 for me this weekend. Apparently everything on the bike is as the guy says. Perfect mechanical shape, everything is straight. I guess cosmetically the bike isn't top notch, but that is sort of my specialty anyway. As far as the white tanks on those bikes go, they seem to yellow a bit over time (this one appears to have yellowed a bit in the pics I got through e-mail). Is there anything that can be used to get rid of the yellow color, or would a guy be better off just buy a graphics kit and cover it up?

The seller seems very honest, had lots of bills for recent work, and told my dad a lot about the bike. He says the odd time (maybe like 1 out of 40 kicks), the kick lever slips. He said that it is just a cheap gear that needs changing, and the reason he never replaced it is because it only does it once in a blue moon.

I just want to make sure before I buy this bike that it is a simple, fairly cheap job, or if there could potentially be more wrong with it. Odds are good if it isn't a big deal and won't cause internal carnage of any kind in the long run, I probably wouldn't bother to replace it unless it got worse.

Thanks in advance for any help.

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
How much?

How much is the guy asking for it? Also find out how much it would cost to fix the problem. If you're worried about it then try to get the price loweed a bit to offest the cost of fixing the kickstarter.

If anything breaks inside of the cast then metal is free to get jammed up in other parts so just be aware of that. Doesn't mean that the gear is broken, could be just worn. But it also could have a little piece of it that came off and if it did it has to go somewhere right? Just food for thought...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…