Smallest Mini to make street legal?

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Kinda offf the wall here...

But what are your ideas on what would be the smallest mini that you could get/make street legal? I'm toying with the idea of getting something to ride back and forth to work on (2 miles) but still be able to play in the dirt. XR50 (??) 80, 100, what do you think?

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
ithing it has to be over 125. Also I don't know if 2-strokes are legal

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
What about motor scooters? As long as they are below a certain CC, then you can ride them (on the street) without a license.

This doesn't apply to 2strokes. I don't think they are legal.

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
O wait thanx for correcting me. It's 125 on the highway. sorry. I guess If it has all the lights and a horn with the licensing and all I don't see why you couldn't brign an 100 on the roads. Check with your sec of state or something

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
I don't know about other states, but here in Cali anything over 35cc's can be street legal. It has to be over 185cc's to go on the freeway.

2 strokes are 100% legal, just mandated out of existance.

My 1994 KTM 440 EXC (2 stroke) is street legal. When I originaly set it up it was 100% to the letter of the law. I have, since then, gotten rid of the battery & front turn signals.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
You need a battery?! There goes my idea of small/lightweight.

I guess I didn't make my question very clear, sorry. I was looking more for opinions on what would be a good mini that I could make street legal. I'm leaning more towards a four stroke for various reasons...reliability, gas mileage, relatively low maintainance. It would be strictly in-town transportation, but would have to be able to go 40-50mph and get there in a reasonable amount of time. What can you picture under a 6'0 23yr old crusing down the streets? :scream:

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
P.S. Motorscooters suck! ;) I'd like it to still look like dualsport/dirt bike.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Faded: aprillia sells a bike called an RS50. The only street legal two stroke full size motorcycle produced. There's a big bore kit that exists to double HP to a whoping 12 HP.

So do you're homework; it can be done.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Thanks for the support! It helps that I'm in Idaho and the emisions laws are pretty weak. Maybe I'll swing by the court house today... :thumb:

mcnut182

Nov 5, 2002
I have a Honda SL70KO and it's perfectly legal, licensed, and insured. It can cruise at 40mph with a tailwind on a downhill.

Here in IN it's pretty easy to get legal plates for almost anything. ID may be tougher. My CR250 has legit plates and insurance also. But I don't go cruisin' into town looking for trouble, if you catch my drift.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by mcnut182
But I don't go cruisin' into town looking for trouble, if you catch my drift.

So wheelies down Main St. are a little out of the question? ;)

What year is that 70 you have?

flying W

Mar 30, 2002
I would say that the smallest bike that will do 40-50 with an adult is a 80cc MX. Anything below 50cc does not need tags and is street legal in Colorado. I would guess that you would need a 125 4stroke to do 40-50.
I can't see an XR 100 doing 50 with an adult.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
It's okay if it needs a little massaging to get it to go that fast. :p

I'm thinking an XR80 would be a decent candidate. It has a frame with an engine cradle, a REAL transmission with 5 gears. I'm thinking that you could punch it out to 100cc's or close w/out major problems. The only thing is can you get street legal tires for an 80? Anyone know what size they are?

mcnut182

Nov 5, 2002
Faded, wheelies are tough to do when you're only boasting 5hp. You can get it up, but it's tough to keep it up!

My SL is a KO model, meaning first production model. Back in those days Honda did not utilize a model year. That wasn't implemented until later in the mid-seventies. The SL70KO was produced during 1971-72. I have two I bought for $350 in 1993. One is complete, un-restored, and all original. When I got it there were 970 ACTUAL miles on the optional speedometer. It now has almost 1700 miles on it, almost all put on going up and down my half-mile driveway. The other SL is a non-runner. I'm gonna go through it this winter to make a little mini-enduro to compete with my 9-yr. old and his XR80.

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
What can you picture under a 6'0 23yr old crusing down the streets?

something bigger than an xr100 or 80 thats for sure.

RazBarlow

Jan 24, 2001
I have a 72' Rupp roadster II that is street licensed and ride it here in Iowa. They are a fun bike for the street or light trails.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Harley had a mini they made in the 70's it was actually street legal and did great in the dirt. It was a two stroke 65cc that would run circles around my Honda mini trail.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
It's far from small, but I've seen a CR500 street legal before. That would be fun!!

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Originally posted by 96whyzee125
Harley had a mini they made in the 70's
That was a rebadged Italian bike made by Benelli. One of my neighbors had one back in the 70s.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…