Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
So a little observation to take the boredom out of cutting the freakin' grass.

Last Saturday I was mowing the (big) front lawn, when the resident pair of Mississippi Kites showed up.

http://www.peregrinefund.org/Explore_Raptors/kites/misskite.html

This is a fairly common raptor that shows up often in hayfields and follows the machines around to pick up any bugs that fly.

Oh Goody! I can watch the birds dive and swoop for the big green grasshoppers that I have been stirring up. :aj:

And for sure; they proceeded to do just that! I would flush out a grasshopper, and here comes the bird at about 200mph. Great fun! The ONLY chance that the grasshopper has, is if he can get back down on the ground quickly. If he keeps flying; he is toast.

Then a funny thing. After about three passes, the grasshoppers figured it out. They must have an instinct to stay on the ground when birds are around. The grasshoppers would merrily allow me to mow them to bits, but would not fly out of the way of the mower. I would watch a grasshopper crawling in the grass ahead of the tractor, and think "here we go"; but no dice. He somehow knew the bird was about, and stay on the ground.

As I said; smart grasshoppers! :)

Perhaps their "mower" insinct has not yet developed.

Anyhoo; cool stuff! :cool:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Maybe the grasshoppers were so smart they figured their odds, and took the chance they could stay under the blades of the mower! ;)

How close were the kites when they swooped in? That must have been cool to see. I would think the noise of the mower would keep them farther away, though.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
LoriKTM said:
How close were the kites when they swooped in? That must have been cool to see. I would think the noise of the mower would keep them farther away, though.

Really close. Ten - twelve feet.

I think that they have come to learn the sound of mowing equipment and actually seek it out. We very rarely see these birds unless we are cutting hay, or in my case, mowing the lawn. Once the mowing eqipment fires up; here they come.

And yes, it is sooooo cool!!

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
Yea, my chickens are the same way. When they hear the mower start up in the back yard, here they come. I sometimes mow where the chickens are and have to slow down to let them get out of the way. My mower exhausts out the front & it will get the grasshoppers moving. I guess the chickens have figered this out and will walk in front of the mower & have a feast. :ride:

Top Bottom