380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
As some of you may know I opened up a motorcycle accessory and service shop (Moto Tech) last January 04. In September of 04 I took on a partner. In October of this year I sold out to my partner. I have a number of reasons why I sold out. I missed the family and they really missed me. I couldn’t find time to ride and when I did have time, it was hard to get motivated to go. Since January of 04 I have ridden maybe 6 times. I wasn’t eating right (2 jobs and 12-15 hour days, 6 days a week). My performance at my “real” job was suffering. It all was taking a toll.

I learned a lot though. I have great respect for small business owners. I learned a great deal more about dirt bikes than I knew before. I learned some of the strengths and weaknesses of the different brands. I enjoyed dealing with the customers and taking care of them. I take great pride in knowing that the shop is well respected and that with almost no money for advertising the business grew like wildfire. I started the business with 2 months rent (on a 1 year lease), a month’s salary for my employee and 2 credit cards with a zero balance. When it was all said and done. We had moved into a new shop doubling our space. We had became a Husqvarna, Gas Gas, Polini and UM dealer. We were one of the only full service suspension shops in Idaho. We used MX-TECH components and technology. We had a dyno machine. We also worked on all makes and models of dirt bikes and ATV’s. And it was profitable………

Even after all the accomplishments I am happy I hung it up. I do miss it and it hurts to think about how much of myself I gave to the place. It just was not the right time in my life…………..

I now feel refreshed and alive again. I went and had Lasik done. I am really looking forward to getting a new bike after the first of the year. Things are better at my work and in general I’m feeling pretty good! Now I have to decide what bike to get……….. :bang:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Good to have you back :)
As long as you learned from it, that's really all that matters.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Running a small business can be a true grind. Congratulations on seeing the positive side to everything. That outlook will carry you a long way in life.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
To bad it didnt bring in big enough bucks to quit your "real job". Enjoy your new found family and riding time again.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Well, I can completely relate to the hours! I know how tough it is on the family and respect you for what you did accomplish! I bet you can get a good deal on a Husky, ;)

Should I bring my bike to Boise on T-day and go Riding :)

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
a great and typical entrepreneurial story. It's great that you "learned" about entrepreneurship and made some money. That combination is perfect for a new business project.... bigger and better...

congrats and here's to a "new" EXC-idea!:clue:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
sounds like you did really well- most small businesses loose money for a while- you did the opposite, well done.

DahlElama

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2001
I had no idea you owned Moto-Tech. It's the best shop in town IMO and I was just there yesterday. I know what it's like to have work consume your life. My company is 6 years old and it's still a "start-up". I'm seriously thinking of hanging that one up and trying to find something less "all consuming". I only made it out 4 times this year. Glad you feel refreshed and alive again... We'll have to ride some time. ~e

Top Bottom