teaz247

Jun 27, 2004
TITLEundefinedTitle:

i am just getting back into mx. i recently bought a 2000 cr250r that is decked out and fast as ^#^^ i havent been on a bike in over 10 years, needless to say i looped it out from under me 15 min. after i brought it home! should i have started out with a 125 or just take my time feeling he 250 power?
Miscellaneous Options
Automatically parse links in text
Disable smilies in text

teaz247
Registered
Bike(s): 2000 cr 250
vCash: 500 Join Date: Jun 2004

Last edited:

sodflyer

Jun 30, 2004
I know how you feel :) after 10 years off from riding ( I had a 87 yz250 back then) I took my son to the local dealer for some 04 yz's..... I picked my self up a 04 yz250 and boy let me tell ya :) they have some uumph! it's going to thake me a while to get used to them again. Jeff.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Take your time....get comfortable on the bike first before you tackle difficult stuff. Being able to control the throttle is a big help. For most mortals, opening up the throttle all the way on a 250 is asking for trouble. Don't be afraid to putt around on the track or trails. If you overdue it and get hurt, just think of all the time you'll miss on the bike laying in bed.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
SpectraSVT said:
If you overdue it and get hurt, just think of all the time you'll miss on the bike laying in bed.

That's the truth...I just got my 250 last summer after a ten year break. I can't ride till next year now :bang: ...broken ankle...partly due to technique, but mostly because I'm too stubborn (or dumb) to get off the thing when I get tired, and man am I missing it. When you do get comfortable with it, and you will, don't forget, STOP when you get tired and go hit the gym...it's much safer than grabbing a handfull of throttle when you don't mean to. :)

teaz247

Jun 27, 2004
hey man thanx alot for the reply! means alot to have some support out there. i thought i broke my ankle but guess it was just a sprain. i havent let it slow me down i'm still ridind all i can but it still scares the crap outta me haha. also can anyone tell me how to maybe chat with some of the guys in the forums i hate to add anyone to a buddy list w/o their permition, (dont want to step on any toes) but have some questions and dont really know my way around the forums yet. i would also like to share some photos of my bike but dont know how!

Last edited:

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
You may have overstepped your abilities a little by going directly to the 250, but you can handle it. You will need a lot of seat time and some patience. When I got back into riding I went to a 125 and really learned how to ride it. I love my YZ 125. I learned to basically hold the throttle open and clutch when appropriate. Well, I just got an '04 YZ 250 and after two days riding I feel really comfortable on it. Learning to ride the 125 to its potential really helped prepare me for the 250.

Now, since you have already chosen the other route, what you need to do is to stay forward on the bike so you can keep the front end down. When hitting jumps, get your head way out over the bars so you are in the correct position to push the front end of the bike down if you get into trouble. Also, learn how to panick brake (remember to pull the clutch in when doing this). You also need to be a little aggressive on the 250 MXer so that you don't get pulled to far back on the bike. When your weight is too far back you aren't controlling the bike, the bike is in control of you. Do you have a gripper seat? If not, you may want to think about getting one (SDG has a nice on for $90). The gripper seat will help you stay forward on the bike. Also, as mentioned above, throttle control is an art on the 250s. But in order to properly control the throttle, you body has to be positioned correctly or it is very easy to fall back on the throttle.

Good luck! You'll get the hang of it.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
teaz247 said:
...i thought i broke my ankle but guess it was just a sprain.

If you broke your ankle, trust me, you'd know it...the main thing there is to make sure that you've got good boots. It didn't really help in my case, I think the only thing that would have helped is if I would've turned down that plate of dumb @$$ for breakfast that morning! :laugh: Big air = Big breaks...and it wasn't really even that big either :| Guess it was big enough though...
I'm pretty sure that you've got to be a Subscriber to use the User CP stuff for private messages and such...Okie or someone could fill you in on that better than I can though...

teaz247

Jun 27, 2004
Va_yz Rider You Are Most Definatly Right About Learning To Stay Forward On The Bike I Learned That Within The First Couple Of Days This 250 Can Really Drag A Man Around In A Hurry!!! What I Have Have Learned Is That If I Stay Forward And And Really Finess The Throttle Keep My Fingers On The Cluth At All Times I Do O.k
( I Keep My Finger On The Clutch As A Sorta Power Stop) If The Bike Starts To Get Outta Control I Grab A Handful Of Clutch At Shut It Down. As Far As The Gripper Seat It Already Has One That Came With My Plastic And Graphics Kit From One Industries. Thanx A Million.

teaz247

Jun 27, 2004
Shnalln I Know What You Mean About If Its Broke I Would Know I Figured Out The Second Day It Wasnt Broke But The First Night I Wasnt Sure. I Do Have A Brand New Pair Of Tech 8's Wich I Cant Bring My Self To Wear Out, Just Playin On The Dirt Roads(feel Kinda Dumb Gettin' All Geared Up Just To Ride Through The Neighborhood For Thirty Min.) And As Far As Big Air... I Havent Really Left The Ground Yet! Thanks For The Support.

Challenger

Feb 1, 2008
If you live in Rogers Ar you need to bring your 250 out to Challenger Park MX in Centerton AR and ride with other 250 riders w-w-w challengerparkmx -com

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom