Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Ok. So I haven't been having the best of weeks lately. So, I decide on Friday that the only thing that'll cure that is to take the neglected Green Mistress for a ride and make us both feel better. However, the boss stops by and says, "Matt, Tom invited us out to his farm to hunt deer on Saturday". I kind of hesitated, torn between hunting and riding. What pushed me over the edge was that in Tom's county we can use rifles. So, I dusted off the 30.06 and decided to go.
I linked up with my boss at his house around 0430 for the hour long drive out to Tom's farm. Now a little background here. Tom's farm is like Valhalla for all the hunters in the hospital. He usually fills his four tags in the first couple of weeks of deer season and doesn't let anyone hunt out there. Tom's not really been deer hunting lately (getting geared up for duck season), but needed to prune down the doe population on the farm. So he asked us to come out and take a couple of does (only one of two any sex deer days). I asked him if bucks were ok, he said yes, but would perfer does. No problem, I'm not picky meat is meat. Ok. So we got on the road around five and headed that way. We link up with Tom at his barn and everyone points out where their going. Tom decides to put me in a permanant deer stand on the edge of a swamp and what he called a creek (I'll get to that in a moment). I shrug and say no problem. We all head off to our assigned areas. After wandering around for a while, I find my spot and climb the ladder. When I get to the top I hear the stand strart to groan and see nails coming out. I rapidly head for the ground and decide that perhaps ground hunting would be better, meanwhile cursing myself for not packing in my climbing stand. The sky starts to turn rosey and from down creak I hear turkey, ducks and then what sounded like an AK-47 dump an entire magazine. For a couple of moments it sounds like WWIII out there! I found out later that a couple of hundred meters down creek is the property line and a hunt club is out on the loose! I'm begining to think that I should just pack up and head for the barn for my stand when I hear a "snort". I glance up and a doe is running full tilt towards WWIII being chased by a buck. She's about 100yds out in dim light and slowing down to a trot when I decide that she's ready to go down. Pow, I hit her, she goes down and the buck just stops there. I'm working the bolt on the old Mauser when SHE JUMPS BACK UP!? She runs almost right at me, I'm begining to think about that guy and the cow in "Kung-Pow" when she breaks off and hits the swamp. The buck still standing there looking at me. I raise up and take aim at him and he heads for the hills back the way he came. I decide not to shoot. So I wait. I can hear her crashing and splashing around the swamp. I'm thinkin' no problem, wait until she drops or 20 minutes and I'll go in after her, nothing in there but a creek and some swamp. yeah right. Finally I get up when all falls quiet and go out to the sight of impact. Lots of blood, good trail. 5 minutes later, less blood still good trail. 10 min. later, much less blood getting harder. 1 hr later specks of blood, in the swamp wet but easy to follow the trial through broken skim ice. At this point I'm noticing two things 1. The "creek" isn't a creek, it's a full on raging small river 30' wide and moving fast and 2. there's a buck standing right in front of me peering around a tree 15yds out. Now, I know what you're thinking, I've got one deer on the loose and I'm responsible for finding her, but on the other hand I'm looking at a real nice sized buck with only one antler (the other broken off) so close that I can see the moisture on his whiskers. Well, he plays "peek-a-boo" with me for a few minutes. Enough time for me to adopt a good shooting position and finally steps out from behind the tree, heck I could hear the "plop" of his hoof when he steped. Everything slows down, he steps out, I squeeze the trigger and WHAM he recoils and runs. I'm thinking WTF?! How in the heck can he be running when the grass looks like it's got more blood and hair than he does? He only runs for about 50yds and starts swaying pretty hard finally he drops into what I thought was a hole. I stand up and as I'm starting to walk the doe's path again, notice that she's out in the middle of the creek hung up on a dead fall. I get down to her and see that the "creek" is way over crotch deep (my limit on cold water) and realizing that she isn't going anywhere head off to find the buck. I can't find him. I'm about to go nuts when remembering that Tom's a waterfouler I head back up to the barn (a mile away) and grab his chest waders. Meanwhile the boss's boy was sleeping in the barn's apartment due to a stomach ache jumps up and asks if he can help. I'm like sure come on. We head back down to the swamp. I wade out and grab the doe, the "creek meanwhile is up to the edge of the waders and very cold. I realize that I have Tom's "old" waders on because it feels like water is coming in. I look her over and see that it was a gut shot and things look pretty green down there. So I "dress" her in the creek hoping to salvage the meat. 20 minutes later I'm washing her out when the boss and Tom show up. Keep in mind that the hunt club is still testing out old soviet block equipment a couple of hundred yeards away. I guess with the neighbors "music" they didn't hear my shots and since they hadn't seen a deer came to check on me. Their eyes looked huge when I explained my morning to them. I get out of the creek looking like a drenched rat, cold too. drug the doe to the edge of the swamp where a truck was waiting and dropped her off. Then the boss and the boy took off to hunt some more. I told Tom that the buck should be "over there", gesturing. He went "over there" and said, it looks like your buck hit the water. I'm like NOOOOOOOOOOO! I hit the far side of the creek fearing for my life since the hunt club was over there and looked for about two hours for sign. Tom stayed near side and looked with me. Finally he stops and says Matt, you need to give up, you gave a good effort, but he's probably washed down stream. I'm standing there thinking he's right but not liking it when that under the over hang he's standing on something is bobbing. I unload the rifle and scope it realizing that it's the buck, not twenty feet up creek from where I dressed the doe! We get him out of the drink and cleaned up, I had hit both lungs, I guess at that yardage the round didn't expand 'cause the entrance was the same size as the exit. Nonetheless, it was a great hunt with enough meat taken to keep me good for the year as well as give some to a needy family that Tom knows. Needless to say I just about threw out my back dragging them both through the swamp, so Sombody stop me before I hurt myself!!

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Here's the buck. The doe is still on the ground. Not much to look at, but at that point he was as beautiful as any deer I've ever seen!

Attachments

• dscf0023.jpg
    dscf0023.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 120

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
gee whiz cap'n. you huntin' them there north eastern dog deer that go down with one shot. last deer i took i had to reload my browning 20 , it took 5 shots.2 before it got to the bog(mini swamp) 1 in the bog, at a 20 yard distance, then 2 more to the head while i was at about 10 feet, probably only needed 1, but i was being thorough. ok, before any of you decry my "sportsmanship" 1 shot was bad...my first was 3" low and went through the leg above the knee, folow up was clean into the shoulder, then she bolted. #3 was on the oposite side shoulder dropping her, then walking up on her she still had some fight in her so she got #'s 4 and 5 into the bean. the reason she still was kicking was that i was on her fast, had i waited 5 min or so to track she woulda been done, but i don't like the idea of loosing a kill.that was the last time i hunted with a 20 guage, so there...anyway, i get her to the check in station. for all you non-experienced, the check in is testosterone atomic epicenter, as all the hunters have thier vehicles lined up, getting checked in and walking around checking thier fellow hunters kills. i was walking around, looking at some trophy bucks, nice work all. then the conservation warden comes back to my doe, with about 5 or 6 big ole burly illinois deer slayers in tow. he rounds the back with his posse, and sees my 1 1/2 yr doe,(i was meat hunting that year...mmm mmm tender) and then notices ..(ok, look..if you're weak kneed and squeemish, stop reading now...ok you were warned..) this lil' doe, 1 leg blown just about off,fatal wounds in both shoulders and the top of its head blown off.he stops checks my tag, ok...one of the others said "she's a bit small aint she" yeh i thought ,so's your schmeckle.."yep,"says i" that'll be good tender eatin'" a couple of the others acknowladge, knodding approval, "she shure will" so the first spout up again "shure is small tho" and another said "how many shots" so, says i "yep.. she's small, but one hell of a fighter, i had to reload ,that's 5 shots boys" and i crack a big ole grin....mr small deer just looked at me and one of the older hunters started laughing and walks over and pats me on the back "by god boy, good job, she put up one hell of a fight" then they walk off. yep...deer hunting is good. good job cap'n, sounds like ya barely made it out alive! :thumb:

Last edited:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Moose95
Here's the buck. The doe is still on the ground. Not much to look at, but at that point he was as beautiful as any deer I've ever seen!

I'll lay a bet that they look even better in the freezer, stew pot or on the grill don't they Bro? :)

Way to go big guy! :thumb:

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Roger that Sarge. That days tracking took all the woods skills and patience that I've ever learned. I'm glad that I didn't have to use a second shot on either one of them, but I've learned my lesson.
-When you hunt at Tom's place, you'd better pack a set of waders :thumb: I'm with you, never leave a wounded animal. You pulled the trigger, it's your responsibility to find it and salvage whats left, even if you have to fight for it, wether it's an animal or human.
Also, if you're out for meat, go for a doe, the hind quarter that we ate last night was very tender. I'm kind of sentimental about taking game, I know it's kind of weird, but every time I take somthing, I take a knee where they fell and thank them for being a good challange as well as for feeding us.
The check station was a load of fun. Lots of trucks, plenty of loaded guns (still in the trucks) and lots people sitting around shooting the s*&t. I pulled up with the deer and they asked me all the questions. I just told them (they all hunt with dogs) that I had had a good morning and asked them about their luck. They said that they hadn't seen anything all morning. I told them that I wasn't too surprised that the deer weren't hanging around the country store :p . This place was pretty red neck, lots of fire arms with shells in them in the front seats of the trucks and lots of beer too. I guess it's tradition for some, but where I come from that ain't hunting ;) Good luck Sarge and let me know if you need some venison. I've got three deer in the freezer so far, love to have you down some time :thumb:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Soooo you had a blast!

Kevin

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Greg,
I haven't seen any CWD in the deer around here. Supposedly they had one deer that was questionable out west in the Blue Ridge MT. zone, but not here. My wife is a veterinarian, most of the deer I take, she looks them over and checks the age etc. on them. Also, you can look at the organs and see if they're diseased in any way. Sorry to hear that you guys up there can't enjoy the meat this year.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Four deer tags? What the hell?

Must be because they're so puny it takes 4 of 'em to make one of what we got out here. :p

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Originally posted by GCooper
CWD - Deer - Wisconsin- Don't eat!

That is supposed to be contained in the southwestern area of WI.

Kevin

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
yeh pred, no kidding, first time i hunted NC i couldn't believe how tiny the deer were compared to IL deer.that lil' doe i shot up would'a been a fine big specimen out east. btw, don't sweat the CWD, go ahead and chow down, if you get it from deer it's all good. most of us could stand to loose a couple pounds..what better than CWD?

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
That's just like what I always say to guests when I serve the scrambled eggs runny, "What's a little salmonella among friends?"

Top Bottom