something hanging out of my muffler????

winter_rules

Apr 15, 2002
Hey guys. I was out messing around today on our back hill. No hard riding or anything, but one time when I stopped, I noticed the end of my muffler hanging out the back of it. It is the stock muffler on my '96 XR 250. It looks like a little black cap that fits inside the main (bigger) end of the muffler. It has a black shaft that slides into the inside of the muffler. Any ideas on what it is and what I have to do? I'm new to biking and need all the help I can get. Thanks a lot for any help! *Winter Rules*

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
I believe thats the silencer core. You wrap the packing around it and slide it into the can. It should be held in with rivets or screws. You probably lost the screws/rivets and had it rattle out, good thing you caught it in time. I once had my silencer fall off (talk about scaring the crap out of you), and had a heck of a time finding it.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
its a baffle, my xr200 had one, its better to run it without it, its louder and better performacne.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…