son is 7 /75lbs what bike should he start with

fireman6

Feb 3, 2008
HELP my son is 7 years old/75lbs what bike should he start with

my son is 7 years old and tall and 75 lbs what bike would fit him good he has a small atv would a klx 110 be to big

Last edited:

bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
Buy him a small first bike, like a 50. He'll learn a lot and outgrow it quick. Sell it, losing a couple hundred bucks, after six months of him riding in the yard all day. Then buy something bigger.

Buying a first bike for a kid to grow into is a recipe for having a kid who does not like to ride or who cannot ride because they keep getting hurt.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
That KLX 110 is pretty small. I started mine on a crf70. 50, 70, or 110, you should take him to a shop and just see what fits him. I think a 50 may be too small, but I'm not sure.

jon686

Jan 16, 2008
My son is 6 and 60+ pounds and has already progressed beyond the JR50 I bought him in any other situation than riding on flat ground. We tried the track yesterday and I realized its time to buy again. Don't count on a JR or PW to last long for him at that age. Now my next dilemma- KTM or CRF?

mx_dad

Feb 7, 2008
what type of riding?

First of all you have to decide, will he ever want to race his first bike?

No Racing:
Hard to beat the reliability, comfort and ease of learning on a Honda CRF 70, or XR 70. 4-stroke, no clutch yet teaches the use of gears. These are very versatile bikes for trail riding, jumping etc. they also hold their resale value very well. You could try a TTR model too, but hte Honda's seem to hold their value a little better.

Yes Racing:
2004 or newer KTM SX 50 Pro Senior or Cobra CX 50 Sr. I know the KTM's have an adjustable suspension height that raises the bike considerably. Under the seat there is a two position mount for the monoshock.

These are great bikes to let a 7 year old learn about power, power-band, cornering, and have plenty of suspension for jumping. This way they learn solid riding skills before having to worry about what gear they are in. Typically through 8 year old riders are on 50's.

When he's ready to move up, there's no problem getting your money back out of either the 2004 or newer KTM Sr, or the Cobra. Then move him up to either a KTM SX 65, or a Kawasaki KX 65.

Lucky kid. I hope he enjoys riding.

Enjoy,
:ride:
04' KTM pro Sr., 03'KTM Sr. Adv, 04' YZ85, 02' XR 250R, 02' XR 100R, 00' XR 100R

06KX100

Feb 9, 2008
My little brother started on a PW50 when he was 5, then about a year ago we bought him a PW80, he is now about the same size as your son, the bike fits him perfect, has 3 gears, no clutch, and the revlimiter in it keeps them from blowin it up, u can also get them fairly cheap, i think we gave 600 for his and its a 2003. Great bike, i would highly recomend

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
My son will be 3 next month, he's riding a CRF50 that my daughter outgrow when she was 5.

For your son I would recommend letting him set on a few bikes. Get the biggest one that allows him to touch the ground with both feet. He'll have a great time and he's at a point in his life were he will out grow it soon anyway. Once he does out grow this bike he will be a prime candidate for a CRF150 race bike.

If I would have read all of the responses before I wrote this I would have just said Ditto to MX_DAD, he makes a good point with his race / no race comments. :cool:

yz125MArider

Feb 12, 2008
if he can ride a bicycle balance whise then he can do a bike. If you want him to be on something with a manual then get him something big enought. A 50 might be really small, iz say maybe a 2 stroke 80 or so but their quick. the ideal bike id probley say would be like a xr70 or xr80, their trail bikes so their not that snappy (trodtel respoce) so if he is learning hes not going to give it to much gas and get the front wheel off the ground and hert himself, their manuals so he will be able to learn also. I know the xr80is i beielve its a 5speed manual, no positive on the xr70, go with one of thoes, letme know what you decide.

hook em 22

Feb 16, 2008
Racing?

Get either a Polini X3r, or a Cobra King. Far and away the two best 50 class bikes. They will kill a KTM. KTMs come ready to ride. Polini and Cobras come ready to RACE.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom