Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Well the time has come and my son is going to run his first race this Sunday after getting some seasoning/practice on the track. He isn't ready IMO but I can only put him off so long and no matter how nervous for him dad is I guess the "first" race has to happen sometime. I hope that he goes out has a ton of fun and finishes the race safely then the day will have been a great success. The impending first race has brought to mind a few questions that I'm sure some of the folks with racing experience can help with. He has been assigned his race # and I have purchased some #'s for the bike as for affixing them someone suggested that for the numbers and the sponsors decals for the front forks to put some clear covering over them so that when you wash the bike they don't get damaged. Anyone have any idea what to use for this purpose? Part of the racer info package they gave us states that his number must be clearly visible on both sides of his helmet as well as on his jersey or chest protector. I have some stick on numbers that we use for the hockey helmets that will suffice for the helmet, as far as the chest protector goes I've seen kids with what appear to be custom made name plates that also had their number on it, anyone have any leads for acquiring those? I have a fairly extensive tool kit ready for wrenching as well as the assortment of fluids/lubes, extra levers and an extra clutch perch, does anyone have any tips for the most forgotten or needed item that I may have overlooked? Sorry for the long post but not sure who's more nervous/excited him or me :)

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
First of all, I wish him (and you) the best of luck.

As far as the covering, I've never heard of numbers or other graphics being damaged while washing. I know companies sell clear covers for shroud decals because of all the rubbing. I'm not sure if his KX has those plastic clips that keep the top of the fork protectors in place, if it does, the decals could possibly be damaged by the suspension moving. I don't know if anyone sells protective covers for these though.

Those custom chest protectors are nice, they can be bought from a number of companies. The only one I can think of right now is SoCal Decal. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this. http://www.socaldecal.com/idSystems.ihtml

Once again, good luck and let me know how it goes. :)

Last edited:

chillywillyt

Jun 16, 2002
Don't forget to pack a few bear hugs and several "high fives" and maybe a hanky for yerself. I remember my sons first race i was so nervous and when i asked him on the line if he was nervous he just laughed and asked if he could have a hot dog after the moto........good luck to you both and enjoy!!

tri-mx'er

May 23, 2001
You have lots of options. You can go to a motorcycle shop and buy numbers for yhe plates, and they usually have the smaller ones that would work on your helmet. You would not need to cover these, they are pressure washer safe. You could also go to any sign shop and they can print you out your numbers. You can 2 or 3 digit numbers printed on one sheet, which is nice. You could also have something neat printed up for the chest protector that would fill up the entire "sticker area", like his name or something. For this you would need to measure the approximate size, then cut it out to fit.
Rich

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom