spacers that come with race tech springs?

cantrell24x

Oct 24, 2001
My new springs came with 5mm spacers and a sticker that read "2004 KX's must have 5mm spacers installed below the spring".

My question is why? The new RT springs are actually a hair taller than the stock springs. They are softer though.

Are the spacers needed for softer springs to keep the ride height correct?

If so whill there be any adverse affects if I do not use the spacers? I would actually prefer a lower ride height.

Thanks again

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
You should measure the free length of the spring verses the installed height of the spring . You will need about 8 - 10 mm of preload on the spring . so if the free lenght is 300 and the installed lenght is 290 then no spacers are needed , but if the free lenght is 300 and the area were the spring is to be installed is 305 then you need to add the spacers to get the right preload. (measurement #'s are just used for the example )

chrismxer

Aug 17, 2005
cantrell24x said:
My new springs came with 5mm spacers and a sticker that read "2004 KX's must have 5mm spacers installed below the spring".

My question is why? The new RT springs are actually a hair taller than the stock springs. They are softer though.

Are the spacers needed for softer springs to keep the ride height correct?

If so whill there be any adverse affects if I do not use the spacers? I would actually prefer a lower ride height.

Thanks again

I like to put in just the right amount of preload to make the front settle for corners. Any lower and you get to far into the stroke and tto much and the front feels twitchy and rides to high for turning.

Top Bottom