spark arrestor for YZ400f?

Ensign

Oct 13, 1999
Has anyone tried one of these on their YZ 400f? www.bmp.motox.org/yz400.htm Seems like a good way to go with a spark arrestor without the expense of a new pipe. How did it affect performance, sound, etc.?

Thanks.
---
Brandon

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I have one on my YZ250F and it works great. A little quieter than stock with all eight disks installed and I also notice a little more low end. Removing two disks lowers the noise level but also hurts performance and causes the off-idle hiccup to increase.

Dan

Jan 15, 2000
I have one on my yz400. It is worth if you have to be quiet, but other that that i have an fmf i use. I dont like to run it alot because it does hurt the power, not to mention the throttle response suffers also(something the 400 needs). I didnt have spot on jetting though, the only way you get most of your power is if you run all the disks, not to much queiter though. I bought is because it good to have a spark arrester around for some occasions.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
BMP disk kits for YZ

I've got a '99 WR (with YZ pipe) and an '01 YZ250F that I've installed the BMP kits on. This weekend I ran an event which required 94dB sound limit. At 5 disks, the YZ250F passed at 92.6dB. The WR didn't. I reinstalled the stock WR pipe with a White Brothers Vortip (faster to do than removed a disk believe it or not). This passed at 92.5 dB. I probably could've passed with the BMP at four disks.

Down at 5 disks we really didn't notice that much real-world power loss over the 8 disks that were "stock". I'm sure it's there, but it didn't affect rideability.

Going back to the WR exhaust on the 400 did cause a performance hit on the low-end, but not enough to ruin a day's ride on!

Dan

Jan 15, 2000
hOW TIGHT do you tighten the bolts holding on the plates. I dont want to over tighten them on mine and i dont want to leave them loose. So about how much torque do you put on them? I have to put mine on soon :silly: because i am going to start building a track and my dad will not shut up. So guess i will stick it back on, untill i go to a motorcross track.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I haven't checked a torque value, but I just snug them down. I've been concerned about crushing the stamping down also, so I watch it. I haven't had any loosen up. Oh yeah, put some Loctite on the fasteners and they'll stay in place better.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…