Splitfire plugs really do work! Read this...

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
Heres my take on Splitfires, I have found them to make a noticible difference in 2 strokes, but not noticible in four strokes. The main thing I have against them is they dont last long (for me anyways). It seems they just up and die, ive had this happen quite a few times and I finnaly just went to an NGK platinum and havent had a bit of trouble. Maybe I should try the splitfire tripple platinums. has anyone else noticed the dieing splitfire thing?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by dave186
has anyone else noticed the dieing splitfire thing?

Yes. They suck.

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
now my friend's bike is not jetted correctly, but a splitfire plug fouled in one day! an NGK will at least last him 3 weeks.:silly:

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Maybe someone can explain to me how the electrons can be convinced to split thier path of travel to arc from both tongues of the electrode... I always was under the assumption that electricity follows the path of least resistance :think

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
I asked my local shop last year about them and they said that they've had a few cylinders come in trashed because one of the ears on the electrode broke off. I found that a little hard to believe, but it was enough for me to stay with NGK.

They did have a shelf full of splitfires...go figure...

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
It looks like Bob is using the platinum tip splitfire plug. Could this prvide better spark?:think

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I believe your assumption is correct, JTT.

Any strap can break off and cause damage, splitfires give you double the chance...and with an inferior plug to boot.

I have heard that if you rub them down with snake oil reel gud.......

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Durt Cycler
It looks like Bob is using the platinum tip splitfire plug. Could this prvide better spark?:think

Bob might be better served if he purchased cheaper plugs and saved up to buy a CLUE :silly:

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich

Bob might be better served if he purchased cheaper plugs and saved up to buy a CLUE :silly:

LMAO Rich! :cool:

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
I can't remember what member it was that said this,but I think they pretty much summed it up.Quote "The only thing Splitfires are good for is throwing them at your neighbors noisy cat."

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by Tennessee Thumper
I can't remember what member it was that said this,but I think they pretty much summed it up.Quote "The only thing Splitfires are good for is throwing them at your neighbors noisy cat."

That would be Rich!

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
now my friend's bike is not jetted correctly, but a splitfire plug fouled in one day! an NGK will at least last him 3 weeks.
that is my personal experience!!!!! I personally bought the splitfires because of their at the time claim resists fouling
Maybe someone can explain to me how the electrons can be convinced to split thier path of travel to arc from both tongues of the electrode... I always was under the assumption that electricity follows the path of least resistance
as I read and know more and more this is obviously the truth
Bob might be better served if he purchased cheaper plugs and saved up to buy a CLUE
I like that!!!!but he probably cant even afford to pay attention <groaning at old joke>
This is what I have heard from the local napa parts store a few years ago. Split fire was being sued because of making false claims that it could not uphold. They where forced to give a rebate or free plugs to some degree of what you purchased. Something to the extent of if had bought five plugs they would either give you one free of 20% of yourmoney back at there disgression. If you had the old plug that failed and the reciept. I heard this right after I tried splitfires. My jaw just dropped and my head just hit the parts counter. Who mind who keeps the reciept from a spark plug you just paid cash for or a spark plug that is junk. Let alone having and knowing the right reciept for the right plug. Now I am sure that most of us can dig out the corners of our garage and find a used spark plug and possibly a reciept b ut are they actually going to match each other?

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002

It does flow in the path of the least resistance. From what I understand, if one of the eletrodes gets oily, the other one will recive the spark. And if/when that one gets dirty, the other one should have been cleaned off enough to conduct the spark. Going on this theory, they should not foul out as easy as a standard plug.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Tennessee Thumper

That would be Mark Klein (aka Tuner) . I merely embellished upon his original thought :)

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Now I am sure that most of us can dig out the corners of our garage and find a used spark plug
I know where you can find one laying in the woods, from me throwing it is far as I could...

Splitfire plugs are junk. I only used one once, when a friend talked me into trying one of his Splitfires. It didn't last an hour before it just quit firing completely.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

The problem with that line of thinking is the assumption that the side electrode (i.e. ground straps) can somehow foul. Fouling is generally caused by deposits building up on the plug ceramic near the nose and the spark short circuiting to these deposits rather tahn jumping the gap from the center to the side electrode. 15 extra side electrodes won't stop this type of fouling.

Generally the only advantage to an extra side electrode is the longevity that potentially comes from having an extra sharp surface for the spark to jump to. A sharp center electrode will be happiest jumping to a sharp edge on te side electrode. As one side electrode wears in theory you should have additional sharp edges on the extra electrode to arc to. This should provide longer plug life but in practice I've never seen Splitfires last any longer than good quality standard plugs.

In cases like the NGK CR8EK which has two seperate side electrodes the theory seems to hold up a little better. I like to use the EK plugs in YZF motors but only because they are easier for me to read. I've never found ANY performance advantage that would justify the additional cost.

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich

I like to use the EK plugs in YZF motors but only because they are easier for me to read.

easier to read? your'e not that old, are you!??;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Boozer
easier to read?

Two ground straps give you additional area to read heat from. It makes it easier for me to read ignition timing and combustion temperature.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Spanky250 turned me into a Champion plug beleiver! I bought one for like a dollar and some change and put it in my bike today and the bike ran GREAT and the throttle response was awesome and when I took the bike wide open it was ran great. I will continue to run Champion plugs untill my jetting is dailed in then it'll get a BR8EG! :confused:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I pay $1.57 for a BR8ES.
I splurge on the BR8EG ($3.50) for the feel-good factor after I'm done jetting.

I saw a four strap plug being advertised at AutoZone. It's gotta be 4 times bettah! :confused:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…