RanMan

May 22, 2002
My son's new YZ85 is puking or spooging out the exhaust. I know 2 strokes are gonna do this to some extent, but it is really bad. Is this from jetting, oli mixture, or what?

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
Spooge is just unburnt oil. Adjust your jetting and be consistent with your oil/gas ratio. I always run a 32:1. Also be consistent where you buy your gas from.

The amount of spooge we get from the pipe depends on who is riding it. The younger one is on the gas more and thus no spooge at all. The older one just likes to ride around and thus generates spooge.

But get the jetting dialed in and your problem should go away.

RanMan

May 22, 2002
Thanks for the info. My son took to it pretty well. Surpised me after coming off XR100, but he keeps it in the pipe. I did go down one on pilot jet because it was fouling plugs very quickly. Plug looks better now, but is still a little dark, but I am afraid of going too lean since it is still in break in stage. It is still dripping bad enough from the pipe to drip down on swing arm and even the tire when it is leaning while parked. I'm familiar with 4 strokes, but this is my first 2 stroke dealing. Sure can learn alot these days with the internet and fine folks that are willing to help. Thanks.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
RanMan - the YZ 85's come stock jetted way too rich. You can do a search in the mini forum and see a few other threads on jetting recommendations (by oldguy and some other members). Also, if you are fouling plugs, you may want to try a one step hotter plug to prevent fouling. Like if you're using a BR9ES now, then try a BR8ES. Last, just make sure to use a pre-mix oil that burns clean and mix at the recommended ratio. I ran Yamalube in my old YZ80 for the first few months, and it seemed to excessively spooge. Then I switched to Super M and it was better. I'm not sure what you're using now... but thats one other variable to consider.

02yz85

May 1, 2002
i am using yamalube only because i have a few quarts left, for meanwhile, i went to a 40:1, this helped out a whole lot. im doing this until i get a chance to rejet. but the plugs last alot longer this way. our bike bogs for a second when u put it in first gear, then the power band kicks in then it has no problem. someone told me to try raising the clip up a notch to get rid of this hesitation, i will just have to play around with the jetting, does eric gorr come in this mini section? maybe he can give us some pointers on jetting!!! keep us posted what u find , thanks, dean ;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom