Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Anybody here in the spray foam insulation business or have a shop building that has been sprayed.

I have a large metal building that I would like to have sprayed with foam. Aprox 40' X 50' with high sides, 15' roll-up doors.

Any experts in this field? What can you tell me about spray foam insulation as opposed to regular insulation. Costs? 'R' factor? Do's and don'ts? Etc, etc???

Thank you.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Are you now living in your shop cause Mrs. 9'er kick you out for the gps story!? Go buy a sleeping bag at Big 5 and save your money. ;)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Oh jeeze! :whoa:

Look who took a wrong turn off the freeway and wound up here.

Get to work copper. Don't you have bad guys to chase and druggies to bust or sumtin??? :nener:

I didn't tell her about the gps story you silly fool. :moon:

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
The foam insulation will help the building float in a mud slide and keeps the interior cooler when stuff is burning all around. It would prolly help hold the building together with a quake too! :laugh:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Maybe he's making a superhero suit. Ol'89r, to the rescue!! "Cough cough, hack hack, whoops, teeth fell out!"

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I may know a guy, who will low ball your lowest bid. He will show up with stilts, a wheel barrow full of great stuff expanding foam in a can and be done in a couple hours! Heard good and bad about insulating the way you would like. Some dwellings get sealed to well. The inhabitants then fight with there fuel burning necessities over who needs oxygen more? Hello very expensive air handling units! I have seen it bad enough in commercial buildings that the toilet will not flush. Hard to open and close entry doors, I have an idea why! I live in a Chicago suburb, spraying is still not common. Or the number of contractors. Pole barn type constuction around here gets the vapor wrapped rolls, no butt joints and installs with a little baling wire.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The fuzz must have confused the insulating foam with the cream filling in the donuts he loves.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
My experience is limited but here it goes.
Spray foam insulation will run you approx. 10% more than roll type installed. The biggest issue is fire rating. Some spray foams will ignite at around 300 degrees F. At that point, they produce extremely toxic fumes. It is ALWAYS recommended that these types of insulation be covered by gypsum products. With 15' roll up doors, I don't think you will have +/- air flow issues. The R value will be inconsistant due to variations in the spray density.
On a side note, I'm considering the same thing on my 30'X40' pole barn. I will be sheet rocking the entire thing. I hate bat insulation but it poses less problems in the event of a fire. Bottom line, research the product that is going to be used and pay careful attention to the flamability and particulate discharge at the flame point.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Oohhhh man! I should'a known better. :bang:

Thanks BSWIFT and foxforks.

Foxforks. How many cans do you think it would take? ;)

Swifty. Thanks, I didn't think about the fire factor. I plan on sheeting in the entire building and it should breathe out of the metal roof.

Gomer. Why yes, it does get cold here. Just the other day I had to put on long pants and a sweatshirt. :nener:

The rest of you guys,,,,,,,,,,I fart in your general direction-------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :moon:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Careful with the fart threat, it may turn into a shart for an elderly folk.

Speakin of fuzz, Gomer, I found a picture of you in the tutu the other day and you really need to remember that the material is serioulsly see-through.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Ah, rule number 1 in construction, NEVER go with the low bidder! Unless you have a really well wrote contracts. He will show up with a chinese tornado 450, when you are expecting a crf! Them roll batts are pretty nice. It starts on one side, up and across the roof, and down the other side. Frame it, and slap some 5/8" drywall, just like downtown. You could even add some sound batting where needed. I have erected a lot of different insides to the drab looking building outside. Offices, play rooms or what not? For those with the funds, the housing market is getting ripe? Materials are dropping daily.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
a454elk said:
Speakin of fuzz, Gomer, I found a picture of you in the tutu the other day and you really need to remember that the material is serioulsly see-through.
Good thing there was nothing in the way so you could see all the way through!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom