Spray-in bedliner coat on KDX 200 Plastics

gymrat86

Dec 20, 2005
Hey guys,
I am tierd of buying new plastics almost every year for my bike and I was just wondering If anyone had tried spraying there plastics with the spray in bedliner coating. This seem to me to be a very good idea for a trail bike due to limbs and brush that always make there way on to the plastic causeing scratches. Please give me your opinion on this. I have a buddy that recommended it to me and said that he did it on his old bike and said that he never had any problems with it. Let me know what you think?
-Paul Graham

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I have never heard of this, but my first thoughts was that it would pick up a lot of mud. Maybe WD40 or some other nonstick spray would help that. It sounds to me like it would add some weight to the bike, although I am not sure how much. I would definately give it a try though. It sounds like a good idea. I hope this helps.

Benjamin

Peppy

Sep 24, 2005
I doubt it would be flexible enough not to crack from the flexing of the fenders. And it would look worse than very scratched up plastic IMO.

Jan 16, 2005
I guess to each his own but...scratched up plastics don't bother me. I ride in the east, and ride in the woods. Scratches are unavoidable even without laying the bike down.
As far as appearance, I think the bedliner spray would make your plastics look the surface of a ripe avacado...?

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
I think the amount of weight you gain from adding the spray on bedliner to your plastics will not be worth any durability that you will gain. I have a feeling it will effect the handling of the bike a bit especially if you dont get a perfectly even coating. I have never seen this done, but I would think that this also might make your fenders somewhat brittle and prone to cracking. A few scratches add character, my recommendation would be to stick with the plastic and if scratches bother you try some plastic renew at the end of each season to freshen up the look. I have never tried it but the ads claim to make it look like new again.

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
The spray on bedliner is VERY difficult to clean, especially when covered in mud. I would say no to the idea, but that's just my opinion. :)

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
Dirtbike plastic is cheap! Not flaming, but coming from sport quads, where plastic costs about half as much as the entire quad, I can replace plastic almost every week on my bike and still be able to by gas and twinkies. :yikes:

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Some Jeep guys have tried bedliner on their plastic fender flares without much luck. The only ones that stay looking good are ones that run in wide open spaces. The guys that get into trees and limbs have the liner "tear" and peel away. A thicker coating of a quality liner (such as LineX) would probably hold up quite well, but cost more than the plastics you are replacing, and weigh a TON. It would probably be real easy to add 8-10 pounds to your bike with that stuff it's on there thick enough to be durable.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…