jakenepa

Feb 26, 2006
last year i changed sprockets ..i went to 12t front and49t rear .i lost too much top end speed and shifted way too much .so i wnet back to 13t front. i still miss top end speed and was wondering if a 14t front would fit without hitting the front chain guard on a 2000 kdx 200?

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
nah, don't take your gaurd off. That little inexpensive gaurd could save you a TON of money someday. The ends don't justify the means.....

Think of the front sprocket as your major adjustment and the rear as your minor adjustment....
changing 3-4 teeth in the rear is like changing 1 in the front... this should solve your problem
going up 1 in the front is like going down 4 in the back and vice versa (I think)....

You need to change one at a time.. if you want more top end than 13T 49T then go down in the rear to 47T or even as low as 43T(I think). I'm pretty sure, but talk to jaybird he knows all about chains and sprockets..

hope this helps

Last edited:

jakenepa

Feb 26, 2006
thanks guys , the front sprocket is cheap and i just bought an new rear sprocket[49t] that is why i want to change the front to get back to around factory gearing . i will not take off chain guard that would be absurd!! its just not worth a broken case!!

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
jakenepa said:
i will not take off chain guard that would be absurd!! its just not worth a broken case!!

Thank God!

Why not put the stock back on (worn out?)... It seems to me like I read somewhere about it being better to change the rear sprocket rather than the front (if possible). I'll have to read a little more about it and post back later.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Crap, I was fat dumb and happy running 15/48 for the first 5 years on my bike. 14 will fit.

Unless your in goat country, a 12 front is like driving a ricer vs a LS6 Chevelle...You think your going real fast because you're rowing through the gears then BLAAAT some 400 4-stroke just rolls on the gas, blows by you and throws an armfull of turf on your lap for good measure...just pitiful.

Top Bottom