KawiRider

Sep 23, 2000
I am going to be changing my rear sprocket to steel. Now, I have a front of 13 and a rear sprocket of 50. The gears are just to close for the woods. I am looking to keep the 13 front tooth and just change the rear. What would make it better for the tight woods? I still want it to have top, but don't want it to be to close in the woods. Also, could I just keep my 50 tooth rear sprocket and change the front to a different number of teeth to make it do what I am looking for it to do? Any replies are very appreciative.
-Thanks

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Why don’t you buy a 14 for the front since they are cheap and try it? As long as the axle is not all of the way forward you should be able to make this change with no trouble. If a 14 then seems like too much you can always buy a different rear and split the difference.

Hope this helps.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
For better woods riding, I would go with a 53 tooth rear. I am afraid that a 12 tooth front sprocket can cause too much change in the radius that the chain has to go around and could cause excessive chain wear or breakage. I went from a 14 to a 13 tooth front on my 00 KTM250 and it really improved it for woods riding. A smaller front sprocket will increase your power and lower your speed, while a larger front sprocket will decrease your power and increase your speed.

The normal ratio is a change in the front sprocket is the same as changing 3 teeth on your rear sprocket.

Here is a ratio calculator I found on Rentha's website.

http://www.renthal.com/resources/resources.htm

KawiRider

Sep 23, 2000
Thanks for the replies so far.....

How about this? I keep my 13 front, and get a 48 rear? Does anyone know if this is a good combination? I heard from many people that 14 in the front is too much for a 125. What does everyone think I should get for the rear, 48 or 49 with a 13 front?
-Thanks

KawiRider

Sep 23, 2000
JPIVEY,
How is the pull? Does it pull enough to get through that long straight back to the woods? How is it in the woods? Right now, it doesn't pull long enough, even though I am pinned, it doesn't go faster. It is kind of hard to understand, but this is what I mean. Yes, I know how to shift :confused: but this is different, when I am in, let's say 3rd gear, I don't want to upshift quick then have to downshift the next second. I want to have it hold through. Is this how it feels on your 520?
-Thanks again

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Kawi, you're right this is hard to explain but I'll try.,

There is an area that I ride that is a tight singletrack white birch infested area, there is a very shape right hander that dumps you out on a 1/8 long fire road ( sorta ). The way it was geared 14/49 , you come out in high 1st ,hit 2nd, hit 3rd and then almost instantly back to 2nd, feather the clutch, make a left sweeper, still feathering and up the hill.

Now with the 13/49, I can short shift 2nd out of the corner and pull 3rd ( hard ) down that section, engine brake into the sweeper,grab a handful and pull the hill without droping down to 2nd.

Keep in mind that this a whole different animal and area than what you're riding but for me I like the change.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom