Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The area from the top of the piston at it's highest point and the bottom of the head. If you remove the spark plug and insert a length of solder in an L shape so it protrudes to the side of the cylinder, when you force the piston through it's stroke it will smash the solder wire and you can now measure the thickness of the solder wire with a micrometer and know what your "squish band" is.

Anyparticular reason for your choice of screen names?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There is a good write up on EG's site site regarding squish...what it is, what it does, how to 'fix it' (well, how HE fixes it. I don't plan on removing any metal from my head anytime soon.....not on purpose, anyway).

Click on his graphic on the left, then go to his site from there. LOTS of good info from him there. Even a word or two from some others...;)

Last edited:

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
Got the nickname in trying to school the fellow riders on protecting the environment.
In South-Africa we have endless riding space and you know how much harm a offroad can do if you ride careless in the wrong places.

If this generation shows respect for the environment the next generation will still be able to ride.

Don't get me wrong, I am the first for a nice ride in nature.
Nature was created for the bikers to enjoy....
And this was not a speech.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I won't go into an earth friendly discussion, but NO I'm not aware of the problems an offroad can cause. Unless you are talking about tracks in the dirt. In fact, I can think of several benifits from having off-road vehicles making trails in the woods.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Oh boy! Here's a thread that's on its way to having a line drawn through it.

I could point out any number of trails/tracks locally that are eroded, washed out messes.......due to 'offroad' use.

I could also point out considerably LARGER areas that are eroded washed out messes...due to the nature of the mother.

MOST of the problems brought about by off road vehicles are due to the nature of the OPERATOR. The untended fires, beer cans, trash in general. Not to mention referigerators, washing machines, sofas and bags full of slightly used diapers.

Generally, people are slobs at the least...heinous havoc wreakers at the worst. It's the small % of people that pick up after the much larger % that leave the woods in any sort of decent condition at all.

I'd just as soon run over a tree-huggers head as give him the time of day. The local 'tree-sitters' that closed down a riding area with their 'demonstrations' AFTER years of court process defined a legal timber sale should sit in prison (read: tent and a water bottle in the AZ desert) for about 10 years.

That doesn't mean I think off-road vehicle use (in the hands of MOST persons) is beneficial to all things and every person.

We have a local timber company that is pretty good at letting riders on their lands. On their reforested lands even. But after a couple years of riders insisting on riding IN that area where it is clearly posted to STAY OFF (maybe they thought they were doing the project a 'benifit'??)..whadd'ya think happened? Well...the area was CLOSED of course.

If common sense were a common commodity, there wouldn't be the polarization in the environmental 'community' today.

But, people being basically STOOPID...that's not going to happen.

Last edited:

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
Canyn, I agree this green thing has the potential of entertaining many people.

Thanks for the replys. I have enough info.
Time to close down this thread.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom