St. Joe State Park (MO) this Saturday

mhardee

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by TTRGuy
Well I think I am going to go romp through the leaves and rocks down at St. Joe this Saturday if anyone is up for a ride.

Where is St. Joe? I live in Memphis and would consider St. Joe unles is just a pile-o-rocks..

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
It is indeed about an hour south of St. Louis but most assuredly NOT mostly sand. There is a huge flat area in front of the parking/staging area that is all sand with a trickle of water running down it but the trails are mostly hard pack with rocks. I personnally don't think it is AS rocky as Turkey Bay (at least parts of Turkey Bay) but if you hate rocks you probably won't like St. Joe. Mind you that not all the trails are rocky but you can't go anywhere without running into them eventually.

There are a few hills that are fun (if you know where to go) and most of the trails are quad wide. It can be a fun place to ride but you can ride most of the trails in about 4-5 hours.

CAL, Lonnie and David came over from Kentucky a few weeks back and they are used to Turkey Bay so hopefully they will chime in and let you know what they thought of the place.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
St. Joe is pretty fun.  It is definately rocky!  I personally thought it was rougher than Turkey Bay.  But I later found out that my front forks were locking up while I was there, so I'm sure that had something to do with the beating I was getting.  St. Joe has some loose rocks on a base of solid rock.  While Turkey Bay is pretty much all loose rock.  We rode about 35 miles at St. Joe(I think) and I ripped multiple knobs off my S-12, bent 4-5 rear spokes, and broke one rear spoke.  I had fun at St. Joe, but I didn't like it as well as Turkey Bay.  Turkey Bay is a pile-o-rocks.  St. Joe is more like a big-o-rock. ;)  I do have to admit the sand flat is a great place to practice stand up wheelies! :)

Last edited:

Super_Dave5

Super Dave
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 15, 2002
I think Cory was trying to say that at Turkey the soil here is generally nutrient poor, drougthy, and unconsolidated, but large conglomerate boulders may be present. The loessal soil may be droughty due to the presence of a shallow fragipan. :aj: I crack myself up!!

Seriously though, I thought that St. Joe had alot of softball size rocks on the surface of the trails that made the ride interesting :scream: However if you have a suspension setup for woods riding you probably won't have any problems. I liked the sand just because it was the first time I had actually been in sand, sandboxes don't count! The trails were all 4-wheeler trails so they were wide and not particularly challenging except for the fact that you were totaly consentrating on every rock on the trail and trying to identify which one was going to jump up and try to through you off :| If you have good suspension and good front tire I would recommend St. Joe :thumb:

Last edited:

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
I would like to try and get out to St. Joe. Our farm is off limits due to hunting for this weekend and I had a blast at St. Joe a couple weeks ago. As TTR said, sand is just the part of it. I could most likely only do a half day unless I take my nephews (12 & 13 yr olds) and swap out some of my kids.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I am going to try and be at the staging area by no later than 7:30 if anyone wants to hook up. Silver Toyota Tundra pickup, dirtrider.net sticker in upper right portion of rear window.

http://www.mostateparks.com/stjoe/map.htm

directions etc.

Mhardee - I tried to PM you back but your box is full, hopefully the web site listed above will get you what you need.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom