Stalling out in gear

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
I just purchased a 93 KDX 200. I was told it has a new clutch - shifter and plates. When i put the bike in 1st gear with the clutch engaged the bike stalls with zero throttle. Is this a common problem with a new clutch?

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
I forgot to mention that the bike does idle fine in neutral. Thanks.

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
i think so. does it idle fine in nuetral? i think on most bikes even though u have the clutch in, the engine still isn't fully disengaged. so that could cause it too stall if the idle isnt set high enough.

where in alberta are u?

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
You're not the first person to suggest my idle speed isn't correct. I will look at that setting tonight. Thanks. I'm in Calgary. I was just riding in Waipros last weekend. Yourself?

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
Both of my bikes do the same thing, they idle a little lower when the clutch is in as compared to neutral, sometimes they will stall if I don't watch it... I just leave it like that, I don't use the clutch that much anyways. And if I'm stopping, I put the bike in neutral, so it really doesn't matter.

elliott

Mar 21, 2003
When the clutch was replaced was the basket inspected for grooves worn in by the plates? IF the basket has large grooves on the right side (this would be the torque side) the clutch cannot move enough to fully disengage when you pull the clutch lever. You see the clutch pates get stuck in these grooves and cannot slide propperly. The only way to correct this is to take a good file and file down all the edges. this will take you approx. 45 min to do. Since the basket is made of alumimun the job is pretty easy.

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
riverz
im just outside of red deer. did u go to the nationals in calgary last weekend? i did, pretty sweet all the big rigs the teams have.

procircuit21

Nov 19, 2002
It could be just an adjustment issue, but most bikes do drag a little bit with the clutch in. Also, were the clutch plates soaked in oil before the install?>

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…