rmmxzrider

Mar 12, 2010
went out for a ride today and yesterday, both times i needed to get towed home because of bike stalling after a long ride and it wouldnt start again? i cleaned the carb out ysterday and looked at the reeds, everything looked good. i changed the gas and oil mixture and even cleaned out gas tank. what size plug should be in a rm250 (1992). i was riding along and it just stop getting gas and stalled. help some advice.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
What makes you think that it quit getting gas?

Describe what you mean by "stalling". If it is going along just fine and suddenly just shuts down then I would expect a spark issue.. If it starts missing, running really bad or otherwise degrades before it quits then I would expect a fuel related problem.

When it stalled, did you check the plug at all? What did it look like?

How far did you get before it stalled? How long before it would restart?

How long have you had this bike, and had it been running properly before this started happening?

my first guess is that you fouled the spark plug. Get yourself a couple new plugs, put one of the new plugs in and go ride. Carry the spare plug and a wrench with you on the ride. If it dies again, change the plug. If changing the plug gets you going again then your problem is that you are fouling plugs.

You should also be able to tell if you have a potential plug fouling problem by observing the color of the plug. It should be a light tan color and dry. If it is black and wet then it is very likely to foul.

Rod

rmmxzrider

Mar 12, 2010
I found the problem, I hope. I just have to start it and go for a rip. My float needed to be adjusted. It was gettin way too much gas.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
rmmxzrider said:
My float needed to be adjusted. It was gettin way too much gas.

I hope it is that simple. I hear this a lot and it is rarely the case. Floats generally don't unadjust themselves. Now someone may have bent it out of spec when working on the carb, but if your bike runs great for a while, then starts flooding with no one touching the float, it is often another problem. If your float is already within spec, it is most likely crud under your float needle or a worn float needle letting too much gas in your bowl. As I always advise, clean your carb while you're at it. Good luck!

rmmxzrider

Mar 12, 2010
well at least i hope its the problem. when i first took the carb off the float was way too low, its like someone did play with, but i also heard that its easy to bend. everything else looks really good, as for the needle how do i tell if its worn or i cant? and yes i did clean th carb out, is there a special plug to use, some peeps were telling me to use b8es. is this cool. thanks for your help, happy riding. :) :cool:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It's always good to know the carb is clean and adjusted as it should be, however I think your problem will lie somewhere else like ignition.

You musta got the deluxe Easter basket? Your peeps talk? And to think, I just ate mine.

The stock plug may be a bit cool if you're riding in the woods alot or keep it in the lower rpm range. You'll know by looking at the color of the insulator AFTER you get it jetted correctly. If it's dark in color you can go a step hotter.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
rmmxzrider said:
as for the needle how do i tell if its worn or i cant?

Sometimes you can actually see a groove worn around the tapered tip. Sometimes they just leak like a sieve, but look allright to the naked eye. I like to change them about every three years, usually before they start giving me problems. Change the seat when you change the needle. Last set I bought from Honda dealer was $37 --- ouch. Usually get them from sudco.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Like others have said, I doubt that a float adjustment is going to fix your problem. If you have raised the float level you may have actually made things worse. How did you know what the proper level was?

Try it, but if it still cuts out on you then go back and read the post I made a couple of days ago and answer the questions I asked, that way we can have something to go on to help you some more.

Rod

FatBiker

Apr 3, 2010
A rule of thumb I live by no matter what I'm working on or have recently worked on is: If you've worked on something and afterwords, suddenly you have a drive-ability/performance, or as in your case, a stalling problem the first thing you scrutinize is what you've just messed with. In prolly 90% of the cases where I've had sudden and mysterious problems with a vehicle I've recently worked on it has turned out to be some simple mistake I've made during the process. On rare occasions it has turned out to be defective parts from a parts store too so don't discount that either. And a little bit of advice from and old man that has made his fair share of mistakes in his many years of "mechanical misadventures"": never, and I mean never assume that even the simplest of of tasks that have just performed could not have been botched by you! None of us are perfect and many, many times even the most mundane task can be botched when you're in a hurry, drinking :yikes: or just having an "off" day. In short scrutinize EVERYTHING.

Top Bottom