Stalls out, need advice...

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
I just picked up a '98 RM125 and had it out on monday. It was running pretty good, but not keeping an idle. Then all at once it just stalled out and wouldn't restart. I pulled the plug out and it was pretty wet. Seemed like mostly oil. I cleaned it and it started right back up, but only ran for about 30 seconds. I cleaned it again and the same result. After cleaning it about 3 times, it just doesn't start well anymore. It will run if push-started, but not for long.

Some thing I wonder might be wrong:
I put a gallon of gas in the tank and used a ratio-rite cup to add oil, but there was already some gas in there, so I wonder if it wasn't mixed right?

I tried turning the adjustment that is on the choke, to get it to idle. Is it possible I adjusted it so much that it needs reset? What is the starting point for the idle adjustment? 2 turns out?

Could the plug possibly be shot?

So what do you guys think I need to do? I was thinking of draining the tank, changing the plug, and cleaning the carb. Where should I be setting that idle adjustment and should I adjust the jet screw?

Any advice would be much appreciated! :ride:

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
So what do you guys think I need to do? I was thinking of draining the tank, changing the plug, and cleaning the carb. Where should I be setting that idle adjustment and should I adjust the jet screw?

you hit the nail on the head and answered your own question. Get fresh gas in there, a fresh plug an put your air screw back to normal. If you don't know the setting, call the shop OR after a fresh plug and gas, it should run, then you can fine tune it and you're off. is the air filter cleaned and oiled?

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
Yeah, the filter is good to go. I guess I'll screw that adjustment all the way in and turn it out 2 full revolutions. Everything I've ever worked on has said to start at 2 revolutions. Must be universal.

Thanks nickyd.

Do Suzuki's idle on there own, or do you have to constantly rev them?

kickstartkx

Mod Ban
Jun 7, 2004
All bikes should idle on there own... if they are tuned right, my bike wouldent idle but still ran awsome when it needed a new piston ring....

bblom

Apr 28, 2005
i have a ktm 125 and when i kick it, it doesnt always catch and rarely cranks. i have to push start it. what could be wrong? is there a clutch or a gear in there?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004

look here>>>http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=115286

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
bblom said:
i have a ktm 125 and when i kick it, it doesnt always catch and rarely cranks. i have to push start it. what could be wrong? is there a clutch or a gear in there?

are you talking the kick starter doesn't always catch? if so, yes there is a gear in there.

if you are talking about the motor not 'catching' and you have to bump start it, then you probably need to rebuild the top end.

zookieman

Jul 7, 2003
If you dumped oil directly in your tank It very well could have sank straight to the bottom. Pull your fuel line off and open your fuel valve and see what comes out. I've actually had this happen.

bblom

Apr 28, 2005
I recently got my dirtbike running and when it idles it does so very rough. when i open up the throttle, it cuts out. does that mean that it is not getting enough fuel or too much? Also what weight of oil should i use for a two-stroke gear box?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…