Help to diagnose for stroke stalled won’t start clicks

Stnick89

Jul 22, 2023
Ok so I really need help diagnosing the problem with the dirtbike I recently purchased I was driving and I went to downshift and all of a sudden it started clicking and stalled out and would not kick or shift I’ve got it’s a shift now and it will now kick I had to replace the plug it was messed up I tried drift starting it and it did the same thing to clicking and just stopped won’t start it’s a 4 stroke magneto run bike yeah I just need to diagnose what’s going on I just need to know where to start so please help

Clark Jeff

Sep 16, 2023
If your dirt bike's engine has stalled and won't start, and you hear clicking sounds when you try to start it, this could indicate several potential issues. Here's a step-by-step guide to diagnose and address the problem:

1. Check the Battery:
    • Ensure the battery is adequately charged. Weak or discharged batteries can result in clicking sounds.
    • Clean the battery terminals and connectors to ensure a good electrical connection.
  2. Inspect the Starter Motor:
    • Listen closely to the clicking sound. If it's coming from the starter motor, it may indicate a weak or faulty starter motor.
    • Check the starter motor for loose connections and ensure it's securely mounted.
    • If the starter motor is the issue, it may need to be replaced or repaired.
  3. Check the Solenoid:
    • The clicking sound may also be coming from the solenoid, which is responsible for engaging the starter motor.
    • Inspect the solenoid for loose connections, corrosion, or damage.
    • Test the solenoid by bypassing it with a jumper wire to see if the starter motor engages. If it does, the solenoid may be faulty and need replacement.
  4. Inspect the Kill Switch:
    • Make sure the kill switch (if equipped) is in the "run" or "on" position. If it's set to "off," the engine won't start.
  5. Check the Spark Plug:
    • Inspect the spark plug for fouling or damage. A fouled or worn-out spark plug can prevent the engine from starting.
    • Replace the spark plug if it's in poor condition.
  6. Fuel System Inspection:
    • Ensure there's an adequate supply of clean fuel in the tank.
    • Check the fuel filter and fuel lines for blockages or damage.
    • Make sure the fuel shutoff valve (if equipped) is open.
    • Consider draining any old or stale fuel from the system and refilling with fresh gasoline.
  7. Air Filter:
    • A clogged or dirty air filter can affect engine performance. Inspect and clean or replace the air filter if necessary.
  8. Ignition System:
    • Verify that the ignition system is functioning correctly. Check the ignition coil, wiring, and connections.
    • Inspect the ignition switch for any issues.
  9. Compression Check:
    • If all else fails, perform a compression test to ensure the engine has adequate compression. Low compression can prevent starting.
  10. Safety Switches:
    • Some dirt bikes have safety switches, such as a clutch lever or side stand switch, that need to be engaged for the engine to start. Ensure these switches are functioning correctly.
  11. Consult the Owner's Manual:
    • Refer to your dirt bike's owner's manual for specific troubleshooting steps and information on the electrical system and components.
If you're unable to diagnose and resolve the issue on your own, it's advisable to seek assistance from a qualified motorcycle mechanic or dealership. They have the expertise and equipment to diagnose and repair more complex problems with your dirt bike.

Top Bottom