huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
ok so here is the problem, i was riding a week ago and i noticed at a low rpm going up hill or slow it would kinda get into a putter mode and stay there, no matter what i did with the throttle, and then die. it was hard to get it started again i needed to fly down a hill then pop the clutch, then i couldn't get it going again. I figured i fawled the plug. I got home and put in a new plug and cleaned the air filter. Was alittle hard to start and ran mabey 200 yards around my house and it did it again and i couln't get it started again. Took the plug out and it still looked new.
also this is the first tank of gas that i put in it myself, before i was running on the full tank of gas that it had when i bought the bike. For fuel i used a 40:1 mix of really high quality oil, and i remember that the gas was one from the top of the octane rating.
the bike is a 02 huskey cr125.
any ideas on what is wrong?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Was the plug wet when you took it out? Seemingly no gas? Make sure the gas cap vents, then the fuel is coming out of the petcock. Then get a 3'X3' clean smooth surface and take the carb apart. Remove every jet. Use a non clhorenated carb cleaner and a stiff nylon brush and clean. Get a fine wire and run through the passages, and spray some more. Put it back together, check the float height. Sure hope you got a manual by now? It would be bad news if that bike was made to run 20:1 oil ratio? Its a Husky, rare for here, pretty much a nightmare to get parts, and the only mx model around! Check the reeds, silencer packing and does it have a power valve?

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
hmm... i tried to order a shop manual, but the site was sketchy and i never heard ANYTHING from them, not even a confirmation e-mail, i just checked it now and i get a page offline thing. so i got to keep looking. well i drained the tank, thinking that that would be the problem, and the gas came out, slowly. so i dont think it is that. how hard is it to do that with the carb without a manual or any know-how?

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
and how sure are you that it is a carb problem?
more description of the problem:
1) really hard to start
2) runs fine at high rpm
3) starting or whenever there is a load on the engine (going up a hill), it go's rrrrrrrrrrrr for a few secs and then dies. during that time it is in that rrrrrrrr mode, nothing i do can take it out, it is unresponsive to throttle or clutch movements.

please help because i already made plans to go riding on saturday and i really want to go

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Well, hell no I am not sure its your carb. Its an old Husky! Could be: compression, bottom end seal, electric, or the pipe and silencer? If you are lucky, the carb needs a good douche! Did you call Hall's Husky? I know this shop, they are reputable. If I had a Husky, that is who I would call. http://www.halls-cycles.com/

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
It could be a lot of things, or some combination of things. You might get lucky and find something wrong that fixes the problem but if you want to go ride soon your best bet would be to cover all the bases.

Give the bike a full tune up.

Clean the carburetor. If you don't have replacement gaskets be very careful taking the carb apart to save the old gaskets. Since you don't have a manual as soon as you have the float bowl off turn the carb upside down and measure the distance between the float(s) and the top plate of the carb (which is now underneath). This will allow you to get the float level back to where it was, which assumes that it was not the problem to start with.

Check for spark. At high RPM the magneto works much better, so check for spark at kicking RPM. If it isn't strong and consistent then you may need to replace some ignition components.

Clean the air filter.

Remove the covers from the power valve linkage (if it has a power valve) and make sure the power valve isn't stuck. It happens, and when it happens the bike will run badly. If you are not sure, take the power valve out and clean it. Exactly how you do that might remain a mystery until you get a manual, however.

Take the silencer apart and repack it. It is certainly possible that the spooge from the two stroke exhaust has clogged the silencer to the point it is restricting the flow.

Check your compression. It is possible that your rings are shot or that you had a minor seize and your compression is really bad.

Rod

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom