JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I have a 30 year old gas tank that has more rust than a dozen Alfa Romeos. What's the best way to derust/seal the tank?

One of my mechanic friends told me to fill the tank with a 50/50 mix of muriatic acid and water. This sounds like fun procedure, but I'm rather fond of my skin. Is there another option? What the heck is KREEM?

Last edited:

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
is it off a bike? KREEM is a complete system that is used to fix rusted tanks. it uses an acid solution to eat the rust and etch the tank. on bike tanks they recommend putting in gravel(fishtank) in with the acid and slosh it to knock off the rust. after rinsing the gravel and the acid you put in MEK(another harsh chemical) to chemically evaporate the water left from the rinse. finally, you put in the KREEM which is like a very thick elmers white glue. you roll the tank around to get an even coat that seals the inside of the tank. ive used it before with pretty good luck. like painting, the prep is the key to a desired result.

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Thanks, tx. Can I get the stuff at the local Autozone, or is it a special order kinda thing?

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
ive always gotten mine at the bike shop. havent tried an automotive parts place.

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
When using the Kreem kit, available at most shops for around $30, you do have to remove your petcock and seal the hole as well as not have your gas cap in when doing the manual agitation.

Be sure and rinse well imediately as it can do a real number on 30 year old metalic paint. I'm assuming this is about the bichen Honda mini.

There is a draw back to Kream though in that eventually you might have to go through the process again. If you can find a radiator shop that recoates rads to stop leaks, the same interior coating will work on gas tanks. Lot's of Vintage guys consider this akin to blasphemy, but it costs about $25, is a one time application, and eliminates any pin hole leaks that may be present.

There is a shop called Elizabeth Radiator that does this. They had a web site but I keep getting a "domain you are using is not configured" or some such message. You could do a google search and give it a shot.

Oh yea, been meaning to send this link to you since I saw the post and pic. These guys have lot's of stuff for you. Heck, any mini fan ought to check these guys out........ >HERE<

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Yeah, it's for the Z50 minitrail. Thanks for the link. I'll check around for Kreem. I'll post the results. (Unless I'm horribly disfigured and hospitalized.) :confused:

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
So JP, have you been banished to the bell tower to live out the remainder of your horribly disfigured days?

How'd it go?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom