steering stem bearing

ihillig

Sep 25, 2001
when i trurn my bar back and forth- it feels like it is rubbing, a lot of resistance. what i mean is, i gotta either grease or replace my bearing. how much would this be and how long would it take? i have a '90 kdx 200 that im trying to sell. thanks a lot
illig

Dr.Zaius

Mod Ban
May 7, 2002
I recently had the same problem with my KDX. The steering was very tight and notchy-feeling. It is not hard to clean and grease the bearings; it only takes a few minutes. I do not know about replacing the bottom bearing though- I think it is pressed on, but the top one was just "floating" on mine. Best of luck!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If it's JUST stiff, you might get by with cleaning/greasing.

If it 'snicks' or has a detent with front end pointing straight ahead, the bottom one likely requires replacement.

Top one falls out..bottom one is pressed onto the stem. You'll have to take it to a shop to have it pressed off (if pressing is the choice and you don't have one). One poster got his off with a big hammer and screwdriver..but he was a bearing person by trade. Probably knew some tricks.

I cut mine off with an air tool. Put a new one back one with a piece of pipe (1 1/4) and a sledge (2 1/2#). Seems bearing was around $30 or so from a kawi dealer.

If you have a bad one, you'll be happy with the handling once you get the new one on.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…