Sticky Throttle..

Afterburn

Nov 1, 2004
I was out riding this past weekend up at Walker Valley and my Throttle stuck 7-8 times. Only in the tight wood trail sections of course. Each time I was able to keep the clutch in while I reeved the motor a bit. Any suggetsions on where to start? This is my first bike so I appreciate the education!

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
Stuck throttle=broken ribs,etc

Don't ignore this one! Remove the throttle tube and clean bar and tube well. The stock plastic tubes get broken so look it over well! Go through the whole throttle assembly/carb: remove the cable and look for frayed ends/damage/kinks. Check the slide inside the carb by hand: any burrs? Debris? (frequent offender is sand) Is the cable routed properly? Clean the whole carb while your in there. If you want to be safe just replace the cable, a new cable works better and isn't that expensive. Hell, treat yourself to a new clutch cable too. Your stuck throttle will resurface again at the worst possible time, if not addressed. :yikes:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Also, check your handguards, if you have them; they can get bent into the throttle tube if you happened to fall on your previous ride. (I know this one by heart, hehe)

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
There's a good chance you need to replace your throttle cable.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
This happened to me three days ago. I wasn't so lucky. Mine stuck WFO in the trees and made me crash. I had to get a few stitches in my hand but I"m OK. I went ahead and ordered a new throttle cable because I've got a race this weekend and don't want to take any chances. My carb looks pretty clean. I did the search the other day after it happened and it seems like this is not that uncommon.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
How cold was it?
I had a sticky throttle that was due to cable lube jelling.
All parts in system were perfect but 20 minutes into fast riding at 30 degrees caused the problem. Using Cable Life lube has eliminated cold weather sticking.

warlo_527

Jun 9, 2001
Sounds like good advice all. Doing a search turned up lots of info as well. Curious as to the conditions at Walker? I live in Vancouver, BC and ride Walker but was wondering if there was other spots to ride in the north western Washington?? Thanks, Warlo

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…