MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Well Its an '82 YZ100. Some of the older forum members may remember me and my trouble some bike and all I have done to it over the past years. In fact I rode it yesterday for the first time in 5 years also since I put over $1000 into it. Any ways, I did my crank seals, re jetted and cleaned the carb yesterday (I actually was trying to get it to run right so I could put it up for sale). Well the bike then fired right off on the 2nd kick, was running beautifully and was STAYING running for once. I was ecstatic to say the lest as I have had nothing but problems with this bike running. How ever I STILL have that very high idle (My guess would be around 1500 rpm) like it used to do when it rarely would start and run:yell:. Also it plain wont start or run period with the choke on? Not that, that really concerns me thou? So any ways, about that idle. Any one have any ideas as to why its so high? The idle screw is all the way out. I can hear the slide bottom out? And the air screw literally does nothing? The only thing I can possibly think of is a leak some where in the reed cage? Also, is it really even that big of a problem? Should I worry about ridding it with a high idle? The little I rode it yesterday it didn't seem to make any difference in my ridding? Any help would be great, This always was a very informative excellent site with some great personalities. I sure hope nothing has changed about it. :) ...Oh also, after ridding it yesterday there's no way in hell I can sell it. ;)

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Checked for air leaks, nothing visible. A friends father did a leak down test for me a wile back and thats what lead to me doing the crank seals. Completely tore the carb down let it hang out in some carb cleaner for a wile blew it all out with air and re assembled it. Oh also this is a new carb as the stock carb's bore was all wore out, and the cap threads were crossed. Its a 30mm as they stock 31mm is no longer in production. I, for one, am at a loss as to what could be wrong.

bad96z71

Feb 25, 2006
be sure to check your throttle cable, as it could hang up a bit and cause this and be sure your getting a good fuel flow to the carb, if you are not this will put the motor on the verge of being out of fuel but enuff to make it run still witch will cause to idle high if you have ever noticed when you start to run out of fuel they will idle up but i am no expert just my .02 cents good luck

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
just_a_rider said:
Did you know that a racing 2 stroke is not supposed to idle,

i HATE this comment from people. :yell: ive owned ALOT of 2-strokes in my life and EVERYONE OF THEM IDLES. theres not ONE reason it shouldnt.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Even if there not meant to idle, they do, and mine does hah, just fairly high. Id much rather it not want to idle, where it would stall out if you weren't paying attention rather then it sittin where it is. Throttle cables good and not binding any where and alows the slide to fully bottom out. Carb is also good, Its less then a year old. I don't think it needs a full rebuild. I'll try some other little things but its not to the point where its going to hinder me ridding it or anything so I guess I'm not to concerned. :think:

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
have you checked for air leaks ? what does your plug look like now ? (brown/tan = GOOD, white/gray = BAD)
try some carb cleaner around the intake boot etc. to see if the idle changes. if will more than likely want to stumble/die.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Plug is a light tan and I'm almost positive that the jetting is spot on. I've tried the carb cleaner/starter fluid trick already and it had no effect what so ever. I know of or found zero leaks. Well one spot I know there is an air leak is the connection to the air box, but I don't see how that would cause any dramatic changes. Just like you guys I am stumped and have tried every possible thing I have thought of and you guys have mentioned. Yesterday I even pulled the head and cly and put in a new base and head gaskit. Making sure I torqued it all to specs. Just trying to eliminate any possiblitys. I truly am at a loss and am about to say screw it and just ride it and leave it how it is. :debil:

yzriderz

Aug 3, 2006
one question.....why would you put all of this money into to it your just gonna sell it....chances are your not even gonna get half of what you put into to it.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Well at the time I had no intentions of selling it. And I now have no intentions of selling it any more. And I have ALL receipts and am confident I could get just about what I have into it if I really wanted to sell it. Any ways, I some how fixed my idle problem. In a way any ways. I pulled the carb and reed assembly, cleaned it all real well and put it back together. No longer screams, how ever now the bike wants to die if your not paying attentions and the bike DOES stall out and die when pulling in the clutch well ridding :bang:. Idk oh well.

Top Bottom